World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Mine is the lighter 664h spin rated 10-40g which Ive used 70g without any drama, line class is 10-25. Suffix 20lb 131 casts beautifully with a stradic 5000 on this outfit, hopefully I will get to use it chasing small marlin later in the year.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You like the light approach I see Jon!

I've just ordered the 70g version from Otto's.

Good job I'm in no hurry for it. :happy:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just got mine out, it's the bvs704xh:)
15870542940733556775031962934937.jpg
i intend to use my 5000 saragosa with it or stradic 4000fl.
It's only 64cm long in it's case, honestly will knock spots off snowbee or fox.
Got mine from complete angler in Ringwood nr Melbourne. They did have a heavier version but not sure if they post internationally. Fantastic piece of kit & I've yet to use it!!
I intend to use stickbaits & small poppers with mine, think it'll be great in Panama.
The heavier versions were not as parabolic as the lighter versions but still a v. nice rod.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yep, that's one I've got coming.
According to the videos I've watch it'll be mainly for targetting the smaller stuff, like bonito for livebait using small casting jigs.
But all too often it turns into an "elephants eat peanuts" scenario and you hook a big Rooster!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Let's hope so!! I'm sure it will, It'll handle roosters easily, I had one 25lb in costa rica on my shimano revolution travel 703 Bluewater spin 10-40g & lost one over 50lb as it shed the hook at the boat. That's also a nice range of travel rods, & cheaper, but the bone is the mutts!!!:):BigGrin:
It didn't win those tackle awards for being mediocre . . . . . . .

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
You like the light approach I see Jon!

I've just ordered the 70g version from Otto's.

Good job I'm in no hurry for it. :happy:
Ottos used to be my local tackle store when I lived in the city, Otto doesn't actually own the store anymore but the new owners kept the name.

I don't consider the 664 that light. My first test was on yellowtail kingfish using surface lures which it handled pretty good. My next test was using soft plastics in 60m of water targeting snapper, which I found it to be a little stiff with such light lures but still able to do its magic. While targeting snapper I hooked into a banjo ray ( half shark half ray ) of around 20kg which it managed to get to the boat without issue.

My daughter took it on a live aboard trip to the tropics where I felt sure it would come back in pieces, in saying that she's pretty good at working the drag when needed. She managed all kinds of tropical species including a few GT's and several fish that simply smoked her. Sharks are a big problem where she fished and her comments were my particular model was to light to bully fish away from predators. The next model up would of been more appropriate for what she was doing but when sharks are onto your catch chances of landing your catch is going to be tricky what ever gear you use.

Not sure if you are aware but if you do break a section you can get just that part rather than a complete rod.
IMG_0832.jpg
IMG_0841.jpg

·
Registered
418 Posts
All those yellowtails on that waxwing Jon? My saragosa5000 Is a tight fit on the rod, only just fits, maybe has a slightly larger reel foot? The 4000fl fits better.:)

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
All those yellowtails on that waxwing Jon? My saragosa5000 Is a tight fit on the rod, only just fits, maybe has a slightly larger reel foot? The 4000fl fits better.:)
Yes it's a waxwing they were caught on, love the way you can hand anyone a rod with one on and all they have to do is real it back in to get an amazing action which turns on fussy feeders. The reel is a stradic 5000 which matches up really well, in saying that I have used a 3000 stradic for chasing snapper and that also feels pretty good on it. By the way the gold waxwing and pilchard blue are my favorates, unfortunately they don't import them here anymore so I have to buy them from the US now.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Another vote for the Bone!
Interesting that you say it's beefy for a 70g, same as JonD said.
I had settled of getting the heavier 90g spinning version but having trouble finding one.
I can get the 70g from Otto's in Oz.

Reckon you've made up my mind for the lighter outfit I need.

Cheers
I have the heavier one, it is so light and casts like a dream, I dont think I would be trying any weights heavier than reccomended, but thats just me

21 - 29 of 29 Posts