World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi tightliners!
Has anyone any experience with beach rods that could be tucked into a car boot.....just in case a suitable opportunity arose to use it!

I'd prefer multiplier variety.....but if not then FS will do!

Any advice very welcome!

Steve

L

·
0 Posts
I've got a Veals Sure Travel 6 piece rod (as reviewed in this months TSF mag) its pretty good for the money (£80) and will do either Multi or FS. Only about 30" long in a hard tube. Tops!

I also have a Penn Seatrek 3 peice which is quite compact when in its bag - will certainly fit in the boot of most cars! A bit more expensive but then comes with two tips (well it did until one snapped!) and again takes either Multi or FS! This is a very capable rod.

Both rods are 12 footers!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Lockstock!
Good reply! I hadn't heard of the Veals rod......will take a look. Have also just spotted that Gerry's are selling an Exage 13 ft for £100.....in 7 pieces!!!

S

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You will pick up a Fox Trek 6 piece or Daiwa Wilderness for not much more than £70-80. I have a Mike Ladle 4Surespin which is superb and also a Shakespeare salt spin 3 piece aswell. Both live in my car boot well out of sight from tea leaves. perfect for those 'unplanned' summer sessions, or when you visit those places where you 'just only needed a rod'. The fittings are not that good and the action is not as good as a two piece on the cheaper models, however they are a nice fun rod and allow for extra 'bous' fishing trips.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Bassic-instinct.....didn't know the Wilderness could be had that cheap. I've a mike Ladle 2 piece spin rod which is superb, even as a light surf rod......but it won't fit in my car boot, the 4 piece would though!

I can see some net surfing tonight!

S

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
See if you can find a fox trek beach. They are very good by all accounts. Mine easily out performs other more expensive beach casters I've owned. It's also stated as being suitable for moderate pendulum - I can well believe that. It's a strong rod.

The only complaint that I've heard relates to the lack of a bag in the tube but the supplied elasticated straps hold the sections together well and stops them from rattling around. The tube will fit into a suitcase and is sensibly robust.

John

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I'v got the shakespear salt 11' 6" six piece
hk2007uk has the penn 4piece beach travel rod [sorry not sure of model]
got slosh 20 on mine hk2007 has penn 750 on his
both rods seem well made cast well fish fine and fit in the boot [fiesta]
great being able to have rods out of sight and out of the way when traveling
infact i havent used my old 2 piece beach rod since getting the salt
hope this is if help dai

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Ajohn..........have seen a fox trek advertised.....my casting doesn't extend as far as pendulum (more of a leg spinner's lob!) so will add to my evening's research list!

Hmmm...this is not easy!

By the byam in your neck of the woods tomorrow and Wednesday......Coleshill and Hinckley, not too far away!

S

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I should have mentioned a "spinning" rod fox do too. That's the trek carp (not the trekker). It will send up to 60grm lures a very long way. Price wise it's a bit on the high side at a couple of hundred quid but has more than enough power to bully big fish.

John

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Veals do a Penn PPT 4 piece for £125, or the same rod with a Penn Surfmaster 750, 15lb line, 60lb leader and one of those penn tackle boxes for £200 all in. If you have that kind of money i have been told the rods good and that the reel is an awesome piece of kit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Dai......i've just seen the salt in Sea Angler......all these rods seem to be pretty good, but it would help me if it would take a multiplier as i have awful problems with FS.....snags and crack-offs! So it would be nice to put a dainty 6500 CT on one!

S

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bass-ic Instinct is already doing my homework!!! Thanks, it helps a lot. The PPT sounds good.........but as I said above I don't get on with FS reels.....anybody who has seen me strugglng with them at Dunwich will vouch for that!!!...I'm a bit ham fisted.....so a simple multiplier would be best for me, never have any trouble with them!

Thanks again to all....the help is amazing!

S

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I would go with the Shakey salt rod then. As i said i have the 3piece salt spin rod and that is great for light summer fishing such as bass, flatties, float and a bit of heavier spinning an jelly worming. The fittings seem god and its well made for the money, have heard other people say good things about them aswell.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Thanks, Dai......i've just seen the salt in Sea Angler......all these rods seem to be pretty good, but it would help me if it would take a multiplier as i have awful problems with FS.....snags and crack-offs! So it would be nice to put a dainty 6500 CT on one!

S
the salt takes both i'v only used it with my slosh's it's fine with 20lb line on slosh 20 it was not so happy with the 30 and 35lb line but to be fair it did the job better than i thought it would
i think the penn will take a multi as well but the salt took my money the smaller travel tube lower price designed to be used with multi or f/s seemed to make more sence to me, both rods dam good however i'd be happy with either

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The reason i know this is because i have done my homework as i am looking for a beachcaster to go to Norway with me soon, and one to take to Costa rica later on in the year aswell. I think i want to buy the salt aswell know!! have seen them on eBay at a good price, anybody know the cheapest place to get one from?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
The reason i know this is because i have done my homework as i am looking for a beachcaster to go to Norway with me soon, and one to take to Costa rica later on in the year aswell. I think i want to buy the salt aswell know!! have seen them on eBay at a good price, anybody know the cheapest place to get one from?
cant help with that one got mine from g.a.c. it was under £80 and i got a tidy headlamp free this was a visit to the shop not mail order
hope this helps dai

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you search this forum you should come up with the test on the trek beach.

I also have a fladen travel beach rod - a more flexible rod in more ways than one. It casts high, will cope with at least 5ozs and could also be used for spinning/float at a pinch. Not exactly a distance rod though and will not go in a suitcase.

The daiwa rod is over the top on bite detect in my opinion and also will not fit into a suitcase.
I believe that shimano also do something but I've gone of them since I learned that their equivalent to the trek carp breaks even though it's a £200 plus rod.

All in all I would say that the trek beach is the best thought out of the lot. It's interesting to note that the guy who run's this forum was/is their sea tackle consultant.
I heard a rumour that they fell out last year.

John

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Gotta get me one of those, cheap as chips. Should be fine with a Daiwa 7HT or Abu Sportsmag then. May even use me new Okuma Magnetix 20 on it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts