World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,

I'm off on an epic adventure Come September as i'm leaving for Asia and Australasia with my partner on an epic 1 year journey.

We are heading around Sri lanka, Andaman islands, new Zealand, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippians and maybe a few other places.

I'm looking to take a travel rod with me but need some advice.

I've got the guts with a decent 5000 sized real but need a weapon to go with it. willing to pay to 120 quid can anyone recommend anything for me? 10 - 80 g max as I don't wont something to light or to big. but would like a decent bit of play if needed

I've looked at a Savage gear roadrunner as I've been pointed in that direction but is there anything else anyone recommends

Thanks

FC

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Sounds good. I've done a few trips like that and my recommendation would be to ditch a 3rd of your clothes and take 2 spinning outfits - one light and one heavy. Try and fit both rods into one tube. You are heading into GT country at those destinations, and you don't know when you may get to have another crack at them! Lots of rods to choose from now, maybe something from the Shimano Blue Romance range if you find a deal? Got a feeling a roadrunner could go ping if you had to put the hurt on some bruiser headed straight for the reef. If you're struggling for space at least you have the ghillie with you and can tell her to ditch some of her clothes too :gtfo:

·
Read Only
14,610 Posts
Got the snowbee sale thing thru the post cant find it now,, there was some 4 piece rods in there, had a deep blue in the passed didn rate it for UK type bass, but it didn feel like it would snap an the tube was nice. Agree some of the SG rods feel brittle. Worth calling the shop see whats on the wrack in there.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Agree with the Shimano travel rod option. I had one for a good few years until the tip snapped (When I made the mistake of letting a friend cast it and subsequently smashing it onto rock) I have no doubt it would have lasted many years. (Shimano Exage 270m - Telescopic)

After trying a few different crap rods with little success I bought a Blackrock Hellboy which i've had for a few years. It's a little stiffer than the shimano but I have absolute confidence that it will take any punishment. (Blackrock Hellboy 8ft - 4 piece)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all for the replys

Ive looked into the Shimano options

the 'exage BX STC travel 20-50g' looks to be the strongest favourite atm.

after a good few reviews on the SG a lot say they crack ect easily and shimano for the price is top quality.

ive looked also into the Blue romance but 50-80 g casting wont give me the kind of play im looking for when im targeting smaller species.

anymore info will be appreciated.

FC

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
The thing is that your stated 10-80g rating is too large a range and you're going to struggle to find any rod that can handle both weights well, if at all.. You've got to decide exactly what lures you're going to use and choose a suitable rod, or buy 2 and have all bases covered, imho.

If it was me, I'd go for 2 rods... something like a 15-50g and a 50-80/100g. One reel with 2 spools, loaded with 30/40lb and 65lb braid.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The Exages are tough but a bit of a floppy dick of a rod imo, especially if you are used to modern bass type lure sticks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thing is that your stated 10-80g rating is too large a range and you're going to struggle to find any rod that can handle both weights well, if at all.. You've got to decide exactly what lures you're going to use and choose a suitable rod, or buy 2 and have all bases covered, imho.

If it was me, I'd go for 2 rods... something like a 15-50g and a 50-80/100g. One reel with 2 spools, loaded with 30/40lb and 65lb braid.
To be honest il be only taking a handful of lures. maybe a patchinko, neoby surface lures, couple of shallow divers and maybe some vibes/ metal lures. something I can stick in my little box and use when I can.. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive been suggested to by some friends that fish out that way a bit a Molix Skirmjan 7ft7 (20-70g) rated for PE2-4. Fast action. perfect for chucking out lures and has a little grunt to it to get fish out of the reefs ect. anybody have feeback on these ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Exages are tough but a bit of a floppy dick of a rod imo, especially if you are used to modern bass type lure sticks.
This is true, but it is not deal breaker for me they are a really good option. However I have found them to be much heavier feeling than my normal bass rod (skyroad). This being said last summer I had no room for anything else, caught bass off the top in fast water and it worked beautifully.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts