World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm sure this has been up before but I can not find it.

Suggestions for a travel spinning rod no more than £50 please

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The mike ladle 4surespin is an awesum bass plugging rod. Howver if you want to use it for jellyworming or float fishing with anything over 25gram this is not the rod for you. If its a more all purpose light multi rod look at the new Shakespeare Salt Spin 3 piece or the Salt MPV. Both have 3 sections and will cast 1-3oz, they chuch plugs and spinner nicely with a litlle multi or fixed spool, but will do float and jelly work, plus are also good for bass and flattie surf fishing to boot! I have the Salt Spin which only cost £35 from bennets of Sheffield. it lives in my carboot with the 4surespin for those times when we all arrive at venues wishing we had a rod. I match it with an red abu 5000 which was £25 on eBay or a Shimano 5010 Baitrunner which was also cheap from eBay, i use 15ld clear daiwa Sensor mono on both. Hopefully this will help you. The Salt Spin is a great cheapy piecs of kit thats more multi purpose then anything, a dam handy piece of kit to have if you ask me and at £35 its a snip.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
The mike ladle 4surespin is an awesum bass plugging rod. Howver if you want to use it for jellyworming or float fishing with anything over 25gram this is not the rod for you..
A quote from veals:

Made to Mike Ladles specifications exclusivly for Veals by Harrison Advanced Rods.
The 10' 4pce rod will cast lures from 15gms to 50gms and has ample power to handle bass and pollack as well as more exotic species which it's compact length will allow it to reach!
New Mk11 version has a stiffer butt section to cope with larger forign fish but still maintains the feel and castability of the original.
The 4surespin is rated to 50g, how come you reckon it wouldn't handle anything over 25g? I've never used the rod so can't comment on experience but I find it strange that you say it's not suited to cast more than half of its recommended casting weight! :fish:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Diawa travel rod for spinning and a shimano stc 2.75lb for heavier work, also sold in 3lb but haven't got that one. Caught Pollock & Wrasse up to 4lb in Ireland on both - brillinat rods. You do need to keep on pushing the sctions together at first as they tend to move apart when casting, supposed to waer in after while.

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
just treat myself to a ..shimano, nexave 3.00/3.30m 6 peice travel. £65. a brilliant rod.
it feels as powerful as a 2.1/2lb carp rod. cant wait to try it on the pollock.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
just treat myself to a ..shimano, nexave 3.00/3.30m 6 peice travel. £65. a brilliant rod.
it feels as powerful as a 2.1/2lb carp rod. cant wait to try it on the pollock.
Hi dab catcher is the rod you bought the exage or nexave, I know you put nexave but i can't find it on the net? Also is it the spinning rod and if so what weight does it cat up to?

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Hi dab catcher is the rod you bought the exage or nexave, I know you put nexave but i can't find it on the net? Also is it the spinning rod and if so what weight does it cat up to?
i,m at work at the moment but am certai its the new ..nexave.. and up to 50grm

i,ll check when i get home.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just received the shakespeared expedition (see post). have not got the chance to test it but will do so soon. 39 pounds. if you have a weeks patiance, you'll know the verdict...

Jan

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
sorry late to get back..

your right its the exage, 20 - 50grm.... 3.00,3.30m
Pretty sure they've stopped making these but if you can track one down - buy it, it is a brilliant bit of kit, I haven't tried the Mike Ladle but it really would have to be something special to beat the Shimano - it really is that good I've used it spinning, float fishing and even light ledgering and it's taken everything I can throw at it. Last I saw £55 and it's yours:)

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Pretty sure they've stopped making these but if you can track one down - buy it, it is a brilliant bit of kit, I haven't tried the Mike Ladle but it really would have to be something special to beat the Shimano - it really is that good I've used it spinning, float fishing and even light ledgering and it's taken everything I can throw at it. Last I saw £55 and it's yours:)
mine was ordered by the shop for me 2 weeks ago £65, so there is a good chance you can get one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the advice chaps went for this in the end
Shimano Exage Travel Spin 6 piece 8 and 9ft 2in1 rod cast 15-40+gms (NEW 2007 MODEL!) in travel tube brilliant plugging/spin etc TEXAXS2427MH £51

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
The exage's really are brilliant, I use a 270mh and I love it more and more every time I use it, it never fails to impress. It has the strength to battle good sized fish but is flexible enough to fire out an 11g chug bug or similar light lure :fish:

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
thanks for the advice chaps went for this in the end
Shimano Exage Travel Spin 6 piece 8 and 9ft 2in1 rod cast 15-40+gms (NEW 2007 MODEL!) in travel tube brilliant plugging/spin etc TEXAXS2427MH £51
thats the one i got. new 2007 model but the longer 10 -11ft model

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Good choice it will serve you well and the build quality is tops. I can chuck a 2-3oz lead a long way with my exage travel stc 2 3/4 lb. Keep an eye on the joints when you use it as you'll need to push them together every few casts until the joints wear down a bit and start to stick a bit.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I agree with lewis888, but then what do I know! ! ! But in my defence M'lud, I'm happy with it. Cheers, Tony O-P.

·
Registered
36 Posts
whats the difference between the Exage, Beastmaster and the Speedmaster STC travel spinning rods - :wacko: it just gets more confusing.

Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts