World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From July this year i will be travelling around Asia starting in the north of Vietnam, as an avid angler at home i'm looking to broaden my horizons and take advantage of the stunning beaches and coastlines Vietnam has to offer. I am a complete beginner however, when it comes to sea fishing, i have been fishing rivers and ponds for over 15 years, so i have a good (i think anyway, although now i'm doubting myself) knowledge of fishing.
After hours and hours of trying to find the perfect travel rod, i must say i'm struggling, mainly because ive no clue where to start. Ideally i'm looking for something that breaks down rather than the telescopic options, this is only due to personal preference and if any of you guys have a good telescopic in mind i would certainly look into getting one. I would love any advice or reviews on rods you've used or own that would be good for travelling, this and any advice on reels lines and baits to use/take would be greatly appreciated!
Really looking for a rod that will handle anything that may dwell around the rocky areas along the coast! This same question applies to reels as-well, pro's and cons of multipliers and the whys!
Thanks in advance, Tom

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was in a similar situation a few years ago. There are so many travel rods out there and I was confused about which one to get. Now I have a several!!!
It all depends on your budget really. There is some good rods at reasonable prices. I would say do a search on WSF for travel rod and have a good read, there are many threads and with great advice. That way you can learn and understand what you want. That is how I did it.
Good luck !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was in a similar situation a few years ago. There are so many travel rods out there and I was confused about which one to get. Now I have a several!!!
It all depends on your budget really. There is some good rods at reasonable prices. I would say do a search on WSF for travel rod and have a good read, there are many threads and with great advice. That way you can learn and understand what you want. That is how I did it.
Good luck !!
Thank you for the advice! After a good search and many youtube videos later, i've decided upon the Shimano Exage BX STC Medium weight rod. Looks like it ticks all the boxes with it not being to big to fit on the back of me rucksack and seems to be ideal for the type of fishing i think ill be doing! Any experience with this rod range? if so any advice would be great!
Thanks again Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not buy one out there will be mega cheap. Same with a 2000/3000 size reel.
I thought about doing that, and i still might when it comes to the reel, just worried about not been able to find a rod that will be able to break down into nothing when i get there, we'll be flying a fair bit and with getting it through customs and immigration it'd just be for peace of mind if i were to get one while still at home. Any reel recommendations to go along with the rod :)? TIA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts