World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i now have a car with little space and after some new sea fish gear i am looking into travel rods, i have good gear for the pike and carp scene but never sea, well beach fishing. I am on a limited budget of around £70 a rod.

Any folk know of any half decent ones to look at for the budegt or will i need to pay a bit more. either fixed or multi set up.

cheers

wolly :)

·
Registered
21,537 Posts
As i now have a car with little space and after some new sea fish gear i am looking into travel rods, i have good gear for the pike and carp scene but never sea, well beach fishing. I am on a limited budget of around £70 a rod.

Any folk know of any half decent ones to look at for the budegt or will i need to pay a bit more. either fixed or multi set up.

cheers

wolly :)
:) Look on here for 2nd hand travel rods, there are some good ones and should be within your budget. :)

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
There are plenty of 3 piece rods that break down to approx 5ft sections in your price range. I have a Grauvell Surf ST 4.5 mtr that I bought for not a lot more than that. There is a 4.25mtr version that would be both cheaper and shorter in 3 pieces too.

Otherwise I used to have (before a garage robbing pikey stole it) a Shimano 5 piece travel beachcaster that was about 12-13ft long. I only got to use it once in Florida but it seemed a nice rod and it caught me a few fish. Was small enough to fit in a suitcase too. I dont know if they still make them but google Shimano travel rods and you will pretty soon find it. That was about 70 quid in 2003, no idea what they would cost or if you can still get them now.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The FW travel rods i used were the Shimano, great rods, but light weight and a lot different from a beach caster, i only have a boot so it will need to be a suitcase type, maybe 4 foot as the most, not measured the boot width yet.

i will look to sea what Shimano have in then, i guess as Shimano are great rods then i get what i pay fpr, well goes for most things.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm with Luke in this , if you have coarse rods that fit in the car look at getting 3 piece rods , probably pick up a penn rampage in that price bracket

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:) Look on here for 2nd hand travel rods, there are some good ones and should be within your budget. :)

where abouts on here, i cant find a classifieds section.

I'm with Luke in this , if you have coarse rods that fit in the car look at getting 3 piece rods , probably pick up a penn rampage in that price bracket

i have been looking at them, sound a good bit o fkit if they fit in the boot lol. all my FW gear is two piece, sods law.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I've just bought a Penn Jetstream off Gumtree for £65. A 13ft four piece in a cordura hard travel tube, in an as new condition. Just a matter of biding your time and using the net a lot! Good luck buddy, there are loads of bargains out there if you put in a bit of effort to sniff them out? Best regards, Geoff.

Reactions: W.olly

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've just bought a Penn Jetstream off Gumtree for £65. A 13ft four piece in a cordura hard travel tube, in an as new condition. Just a matter of biding your time and using the net a lot! Good luck buddy, there are loads of bargains out there if you put in a bit of effort to sniff them out? Best regards, Geoff.

yep i love to route out a bargain, i usually go ofname/make like Shimano, Daiwa etc, even Ron thompson i have had in the past which arent bad.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
yep i love to route out a bargain, i usually go ofname/make like Shimano, Daiwa etc, even Ron thompson i have had in the past which arent bad.
Buddy if those float your boat, go on ebay and enter beach travel rod in the search. The Shakespeare and Daiwa are well within your budget but my personal advice is to go secondhand and get something special for similar money? Best regards, Geoff.

Reactions: W.olly

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I'm trying to say is a three piece beach rod is probably shorter broken down than your coarse rods

ah right, sorry, i have been tht busy i forgot to measure the boot width, and been out playing today in it aswell lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts