World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as a travel spin/lure rod to use with a lp baitcaster reel, and if so is there anything on the cheaper end of the market?

Or if anyone can let a complete noob like me know that its OK to use such a reel on pretty much any spin rod would be grateful for just any kind of info about this :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Try Ebay. G. Loomis Escape, SavageGear roadrunner, or try the US, Cabalas have 2 different 4 piece rod ranges and a 3 piece salt water range too. All have trigger grip reel seats and Low Profile rings.
Unluckily all are 7 ft or less so will restrict your casting range to an extent.
Dorset fishing rods has some very interesting 3 and 4 piece Japanese blanks which go up to 9ft I think, but you are talking custom build prices and you will have to wait a bit for delivery. I,m seriously considering ordering a rod from him.
You can get away with using a rod rung for spinning reels with an LP BC reel as long as the rings don,t stand too far off the blank. They definately cost you casting range too. But they will cause the rod to twist more in your hand which will tire you out quicker. Also the single leg type of rings are not designed to work in compression and so might collapse down to the blank causing your line to rub on it and cause the line to fray and snap.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks for the advice - I think the SavageGear is more in the price range I was looking at :p

Excellent stuff, thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts