World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Travel Spin Rod

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  JonD 
#1 ·
Hi Folks!
Heading to Lofoten in Norway and looking for a bombproof travel-spin rod and reel...
I am going light, shore casting, rod must be small enough to pack in a rucksack, and have the ability to cast 150g maximum and smaller for shore spinning for coley etc... If I hit a big cod or halibut, I want the rod to be able to handle that also...

So, one rod for all occasions, a big ask, but hopefully there will be good advice here.

All advice welcome guys.

Cheers, W...

#2 ·
i’m unsure if there’s a light rod that fits them needs.
However The 3pc Penn Rampage or the
5pc Shakespeare Agility might be what your looking for.
I’m in Norway now and normally lure fish or LRF but i do have both rods recommended.
Sometimes i use them mad bait rods other times i’ll just use beach rods.
Different days different moods.

#4 ·
i’m unsure if there’s a light rod that fits them needs.
However The 3pc Penn Rampage or the
5pc Shakespeare Agility might be what your looking for.
I’m in Norway now and normally lure fish or LRF but i do have both rods recommended.
Sometimes i use them mad bait rods other times i’ll just use beach rods.
Different days different moods.
Cheers Mikey, will have a look at these... Hope you are enjoying Norway... I have all my heavy gear rods, penn 525 and 535 etc... But just don't want the hassle of trailing all the gear... Sticking to spinning... Best, W...

#3 ·
Hi Folks!
Heading to Lofoten in Norway and looking for a bombproof travel-spin rod and reel...
I am going light, shore casting, rod must be small enough to pack in a rucksack, and have the ability to cast 150g maximum and smaller for shore spinning for coley etc... If I hit a big cod or halibut, I want the rod to be able to handle that also...

So, one rod for all occasions, a big ask, but hopefully there will be good advice here.

All advice welcome guys.

Cheers, W...
Look at Blue water gear. @chichesterpete

#10 ·
The Shimano grappler travel rods might work for you, the one I bought worked great flicking lures from the shore on small salmon (similar to a 2lb bass) but also handled a 1.640 cm yellowfin on the weekend. Yellowfin tuna are one of the better fighting tuna, so a big cod or halibut shouldn't be an issue unless you go crazy high sticking the rod. You simply wouldn't know its a three piece rod when loaded up on a fish.
What I really like about the rod is its ability to cast lures very well as light as 40g right up to 150g.
I have posted some images of the grappler loaded on fish, both big and small over the last couple of weeks if you use the search box at the top of the page you should find them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.