World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id be interested how we all take our lures to a rockhopping venue.In my quest to become even more mobile Over shoulder bags and evenrucksacks are becoming a bit bulky for me. Does anyone use a fly vest packed with hard plastics or even a fashionable bumbag ? Wondering what a soloution might be for traveling light

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, if you pack 10kg of gear its gonna weigh 10kg no matter how you carry it.
Personally when I wanna go light I take a small rucksack. Feels better and more natural (think balance) than a vest or (in particular) a shoulder bag which would dangle just about anywhere when you are not just walking on a plain road.
Look into rucksacks of the sports/hiking kind. They normally have straps so you can fasten it to your body to prevent it from going whereever it pleases.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I use a vanquest mobius 2 hip bag. It actually stops me taking too much yet has just enough space for everything I need.

I used to take a rucksack but i just kept filling it with stuff I never used :Oo:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Well, I used to take the kitchen sink. Now I have pared it down considerably.
Small backpack containing more clothes than tackle. Anyway I put in my lure box, small flask, reel, float and hook box, headlamp, jumper and squashed up waterproof. Then also pack my rod quiver with two-piece bass rod for spinning, telescopic float rod, landing net (not lately) knife, priest and fish-rag. Then I'm good to go. Cold-box stays in the car as its a 40 minute drive home and I need to keep the catch fresh as possible. I used to include a bottom rod and reel too, but that involves the addition of the lead sinker box too, so I was packing even more weight. So they are only on board in winter when the dark evenings set in.
Regardless of what gear I decide to carry, once at the mark it carries me, so some forethought goes a long way.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Id be interested how we all take our lures to a rockhopping venue.In my quest to become even more mobile Over shoulder bags and evenrucksacks are becoming a bit bulky for me. Does anyone use a fly vest packed with hard plastics or even a fashionable bumbag ? Wondering what a soloution might be for traveling light
small long nosed pliers, nail clippers, few lure clips and 10-12 metrs of 8-10 mono (spare leader) its cheaper than loseing expensive 15lb braid, couple of flying "C",couple of jinza sub surface and perhaps a popper.all with one single size 4 wide gap on the back end. thats it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Musto wading jacket with:

- a folding landing net hanging on the D-ring supplied on the back of the coat's collar;
- the 2 breast pockets each have one lure box (about the size of a chinese meal container) , one for soft plastics and one for hard ones. The Soft plastics are each in a poly bag to keep them separate. Each box has spare leaders inside, again in poly bags. Spare lure clips are clipped onto the zips of the jacket. I usually don't take spinners - too heavy, but might do in a sandy estuary. The zip-up side pockets have 'fish sorting out' gear in one (i.e. forceps, measuring tape, small scales + plastic carry bag for weighing, notebook & pen etc. Other zip pocket has spare spool bound with bubblewrap (in case I trip over), small plastic bottle (tonic water type) of soft drink, and choc bars, sweets etc.

- I carry a wading staff on some occasions, otherwise it's one rod made up, that's all.
- Sunglasses I wear, with a lanyard in case they drop off. They are scratched to buggery, but they are just for fishing.
- Hanging round my neck is an adjustable thin strap, which has large keyring-type rings for camera, sharpening stone, and a very small torch with a red beam, which I can hold in my mouth when sorting out a fish in the dark or murk.
- Camera is a small waterproof type.

I don't care if the lures get wet, they all go under the shower later. Spare batteries for camera, and my mobile phone I keep in a waterproof pouch which has its own lanyard, round my neck (Musto yachtsman's type - expensive, but worth spending about £30 on. A cheaper version is a roll-up one by Gilert from 'outdoor' shops).

I wear a peaked cap, and a headtorch, even in daytime - in case I have to flash an SOS !

All this has proved well for me, but I'm now considering a mini-tripod for the camera (an aticulated type to sit on a rock). Also I've just bought a stronger and waterproof mini drink bottle (flip top type, Stanley, B&Q?)

All this works for me if I'm wading in estuaries or rock hopping in Wales.

Geoff

·
Registered
72 Posts
Occassionally an Arktis chest rig gets a trip out but if I'm going light I just bung it all in my ventile OG smock pockets, plenty of space

I carry a degorger, nips, scissors and a tiny line tidy on a bit of para cord which I wear round my neck

For me going light is deciding what technique you are going to use and packing only for that. otherwise it starts becoming a "what if what if" bag packing operation and you end up taking everything

I never take more than a 30l daysacks worth of gear and that includes life support stuff and saftey gear

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Being a fairly casual angler for the last few years I always take far to much equipment with me “just in case” personally I think if you can master your essentials and be confident that the lures you use will work on your intended species and at your intended mark then it’s really down to your carrier.. Maxpedition do some nice bits of kit, but they are pretty expensive. I think that that a sling bag is ideal for a roving day out and hope to try it out more often next year.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
” personally I think if you can master your essentials and be confident that the lures you use will work on your intended species and at your intended mark then it’s really down to your carrier.
Agree MrE in my case it would be a savage gear sand eel pearl white and lemon back

1 - 12 of 12 Posts