World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

I have just returned from a holiday in the sun, (it rained), and spent part of my time watching the locals float fishing from jetties and rocks. I was itching to join them.

I am approaching retirement and new to sea fishing and am in the process of buying tackle for beach and boat. I have decided that, in addition to the more serious gear, I would like to buy a travelling rod that will fit in a suitcase so that I can do a bit of spinning and float fishing and possible very light beach work (nasty word) when we go away. I am not looking for a matchwinning rod, just one that we prevent withdrawal symptoms. The "Governor"insists on space being left for clothes so I will be fishing light.

Now to the question. I have done some research find that the main manufacturers in this market seem to be Fladden, Shimono and Penn. The last, Penn, seems to be much more expensive than the other two but it may be a case that it is a vastely superior rod. I am not on a budget but do not wish to waste money.

Has anyone had any experience. Any help appreciated.

Regards

Fred

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Fred

It's not much help to you, but I have just bought a Shimano Exage outfit after hearing good things from other people. I haven't used it yet so can't give a review. It certainly looks and feels a good piece of kit.

'tis a spinning rod (1-3 oz) that can be 10 or 11ft depending on the sections used. Comes is a tough case that should stand up to the stresses of travelling. I hope to try it out (at home) soon enough, but first impressions are that this rod could be used regularly in place of my normal spinning rod (ie, it is not a toy but thre real deal).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Manx Fisher

Thanks for the input. I am going to have a caht with a couple of dealers to get their opinions. I will keep you posted. By the way what reel are you going to use with the Exage. I,m thinking of a lighter weight fixed spool.

Regards

Fred

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yep, defo a light weight fixed spool, probably with a selection of spools carrying different lines / braid.

I have also added a cheap (£15) 4 piece fly rod to my collection. Again, this hasn't seen the sea yet, and I am not expecting much from it but it is my first foray into fly fishing.

Roll on summer and/or holidays :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's me again Manx Fisher

One final question, is yours a 4 or 6 piece Excage. The ads seem to show the spinning rod as a 6 piece. If this is what you have, how does it feel when put together.

Regards

Fred

·
Registered
438 Posts
hello fred i have a shimanoexage carp/surf 3lb rod it comes with aprotective case and will fit in a case it is the best all round rod it will cast up to 4 onces but i found 3 the best i floated with it and spin a good all round rod graham

·
Registered
327 Posts
Fred,

As I travel a lot I have invested in both a Penn Jetstream and a Shimano Exage 10/11 ft spinning rod.

They are as different as the price. The Penn is a full blown 13ft beachcaster suitable for sand/light mixed ground and great beachcaster with the added flexibility of being carried in the boot of the car out of prying eyes.

The Shimano on the other hand is also a good rod with that same flexibilty. As a spinning rod it is much lighter and well suitable for travelling abroad.
I don't know what areas of the the world that you intend to visit but it would suit the harbour, rock fishing found in the common European destinations for mullett and the small/medium species found there.

Coupled up with a decent fixed spool reel, some light floats, spinners/plugs or light leads you could have some good fun and relaxation.

Hope this helps,

Sim

B

·
0 Posts
jetstream said:
As I travel a lot I have invested in both a Penn Jetstream and a Shimano Exage 10/11 ft spinning rod.
Sim
Hi Sim/others, I'm fairly new to the game but bought the same Shimano Exage recently, primarily to carry on cycling trips and replace my old spin rod. Never caught anything on it yet but loved the feel with floats and spinning and it does really cast well.

Can you give some advice on bottom fishing?

Have you tried using this with light(er) weights for bottom fishing where the occasion comes by i.e. piers etc? Or would this be pushing it. I'm looking for something I could carry during spring/summer on longer rides and e it multi-purpose but don't want to spend needlessly. Would this handle it or should I look to get the carp/bass one.

Much appreciated.. Izzy

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sim and all the others,

Thanks for all the help. I spoke to a guy at Veals and he recommended the Shimono 10/11 ft with an Okuma Eclipz reel as being easily transportable in a suitcase. It looks like this is the one.

I do not post on the forum very often, but am an avid reader. I was amazed at the help I got on this one. Again my thanks to all.

Tight lines

Fred

1 - 9 of 9 Posts