World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been fishing there twice this week and blanked both times i was really surprised because this mark usually produces the goods. I blamed the first trip there this week Tuesday to bad conditions and flat sea. Last night was ideal and i was expecting 1 or 2 because the wind direction was wrong.

A reliable source has just told me that the trawlers from the harbour have been out netting for their bait (frozen down to be welch bait) and in the nets theyve been having cod, bass, whiting, sole and a few others and they dont give a S**t what size the fish are they go in the bait box.

I was well annoyed because it is my favourite mark to fish???

Do you think(if this is true) the whiting will still be there the last 3 or 4 weeks of this season and next year. I would like to think that i blanked due to bad conditions and that saundersfoot has not followed the persuit of everywhere fishing badly but i am not sure.

What do you guys think any ideas would be appreciated
Bass Buster

·
Registered
737 Posts
typical of commercial fisherman,take today screw tommorrow.

·
Registered
208 Posts
if you can get the boats number you can grass him up to the fishary protection people, they must have a web site with a telephone number, this if he has a number on his boat, if not tell them the name of the boat and the area hes working. swansea have a survey boat in their marina, i'm sure they would like a little look at his catches and the nets he is using, i'm sure he would be well impressed with that. doggy

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Buster, I think the wind direction is probably the cause of the problem, when it hasn't been East, its been North, neither of which are conducive to fishing, have you heard the old Anglers Rhyme.
Fish bite the least when the wind's from the East,
When it blows from the North only fools sally forth,
They bite at their best when it blows from the West,
When it blows from the South it blows food in your mouth.
Starting on Tuesday 8th Feb I dont care where it blows from, the tides are 40 footers & I'm gonna hit Amroth & several other places, If I catch I catch, if I dont well the season starts on the river on March 1st, then come May the flatties will be back along with the Black Bream!
With 326 days left to retirement, I dont care where it blows from, it will come round to SW soon enough!
blueskip

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Has to be said, the fishing around most of Pembrokeshire has been diabolical recently. Seems to have coincided with the easterly/northerly thing. Don't despair yet.

Rhod.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Isn't just up your way either...I live in Torbay in devon and fishing from the shore has been really bad down here too.
You just got to keep going and dont give up.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The weather and barometric pressure will affect the fishing and bearing in mind that we have had northerly and north easterly winds for almost a month now and we have had a high pressure area siting just to the west of us for nearly two weeks I reckon these two factors must be affecting the fish in some places especially areas to the west of the country, hope I'm right and it.s not the trawlers Local fishery's officers numbers should be available on the DEFRA web siteour local fisheries officer is in the phone book under Dept of Enviroment Food & Rural Affairs so it may pay you to make a note of yours so that you can report any activities which may be illegal.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i was fishing saundersfoot a month or 2 back when a trawler boat came flying out of the harbour and tangled with about 3-4 people 1 of them bieng me the unlucky bugger that i am.the boat tangled with me ripping the line off my spool, with about 2o yrds to go a kind man cut me off.when they came backk they had boxes full of fish mostly undersized.i think its dscusting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts