World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, fished Trefor Pier for the first time this evening.

Arrived around 1700 to find the pier deserted and with me without a scooby-do as to how to fish it. So using cunning plan No.1 I went to the end.

Knowing that most water in the area flows from West to East I started casting to the left, knowing that at least my rigs would stay on the bottom.

Started off with 3 rods:

1 Beachcaster loaded with a heavy duty pulley rig, baited with a fillet of mackerel and a squid a cast. Target - Bull Huss

1 Beachcaster loaded with a 2-up 1-down baited with a mixture of Squid, Rag and Mackerel. Target - Anything

1 Plugging Rod (My trusty scratcher!) with a 2-up 1 down boomed rig baited with mostly Rag. This was dropped straight down the side. Target - Pollack/Coalies/ Mini-Species.

Just started fishing when another angler turned up, he walks up and asks how to fish the place, turns out he was popping his cherry there too, after being recommended it by Malcs at ABC.

Anyway, 20 mins into the session the return of Hurricane Katrina starts blowing a strong Westerly, So I chose to swap sides and fish the East facing side of the pier, at least that may my face wasn't going to get blown off whilst watching my rod tips.

At about 18:00 I had a knock on my plugging rod, which resulted in a small Coalie. This was quickly followed by 3 more of a similar size. This was followed by a small Pollack.

At about 19:00 or thereabouts LittleMissMermaid turned up to say hello, she wasn't fishing but thought she'd pop down to say hi. Which was nice. Always good to put faces to names and all. Chatted for about 15 mins, in which I learned I should be casting directly East, and not out into the deeper water. So I moved. By this time the other Trefor Pier first timer had landed a doggy.

As LittleMissMermaid left 3 more anglers came on, and started fishing. My plugging/scratching rod picked up 2 more Coalfish before I put it away. I hadn't blanked so I was going all out for the Huss. My 2 beachcasters were prepped with large Pulley-Pennels and I was putting a fillet of mackerel and a whole squid out a cast per rod.

It started very slowly, with between the 5 of us now fishing catching one doggy every 20min or so. Peaked around 20:30 with a doggy every 5 mins or so for someone. I ended up with 3 landed and one dropped on the haul up. Finished at 21:30.

Total scores 6 Coalies, 1 Pollack and 3 Dogs. No Huss landed when I left, but who knows what happened after!

Apologies to LittleMissMermaid for shaking hands whilst mine were covered in mackerel and squid guts, and no I didn't go out in Llandudno in the end watched Comic Relief with a few tins instead. Also, found North Wales Angling Centre on the drive back, so will pop in for a drop net next time I'm in the area.

Looking forward to tomorrows match now!

tight lines

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,629 Posts
Nice one Gareth........... its nice when you try a different venue and dont blank........ good luck for tonight.......

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Good report Gareth.
The doggies can reach plague proportions there some nites but at least you're almost certain to catch something.
The huss seem to be there one night and gone the next, I guess you need a bit of luck on your side and it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
Better luck with the huss next time.

Andy

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Liz / Andy.

I will be back to have another pop for them sometime soon. Concentrating on trying to get a thorny at the moment though. More raids to Ty Croes coming up over the next few weeks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts