World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had planned to fish the west coast of Anglesey for rays and maybe smoothhound but the forecast of strengthening southwesterlies put a stop to that so me and Steve headed to Trefor pier, a mark that’s always been kind to us. We arrived at about 7:00 and though the gusty wind could make things a bit awkward, conditions weren’t too bad.

We decided to wait till dark to target the huss and started with one rod at distance and the plugging rods down over the side, Steve opted to go with launce on his distance rod while I chose rag in an effort to avoid the dogs, wise move :clap2: within five minutes Steve landed his first doggie and soon after, his second. The plugging rods were quiet until Steve changed from rag to sandeel then he landed a small coaly, closely followed by a decent mackerel. My rods sat motionless but I wasn’t too concerned about blanking, as I felt sure the dogs would be hard to avoid once it got dark. A little while later the first sign of interest in my rag resulted in this beastie

Things started to pick up as the light faded and I finally got off the mark with a small pollock on the plugging rod and soon after a doggie that finally gave in to the temptation of my rag, in between catching more dogs and Pollack I caught this monster down the side

Think it’s a short spined sea scorpion?

And Steve caught this

Corkwing wrasse?

He also got his own spider crab.

6 species so far (not counting the crabs), things were going well but the temptation of the huss became too much so out went a 3rd rod each. After about half an hour we both had knocks on our huss baits at almost exactly the same time, Steve’s rod didn’t move again but my bite seemed to be developing nicely for a couple of minutes before it stopped as well, I reeled in to check my bait only to find the 6/0 stripped completely, there wasn’t even a scrap of bait elastic left and when Steve checked his bait, the same result. We couldn’t see how a huss or doggie could strip the bait without getting hooked so we decided it must have been spider crabs.

A while later I’d just re baited my plugging rod when I noticed my huss bait had moved quite far left of where I’d cast it and the rod tip was nodding very slowly and deliberately, surely a spider crab couldn’t be the culprit again? I picked up my rod and lifted into it, definitely not a crab and after a short scrap a massive head broke the surface. Yet again Steve was on hand with the drop-net and success at the first attempt, he’s getting to be an expert at this :clap: . It was a big, old male huss, a real bruiser with scars all over his head; surely it had to beat my personal best? The gusty wind made it quite difficult to get an accurate weight but after a nervous minute or so the scales settled at 12lb exactly topping my previous PB by 8oz, Result :yahoo: :yahoo:

Interestingly, as I unhooked him I found the snapped off bend of a small hook around a size 4 or 6 in his lip, someone had been unlucky.

I’d only just released the huss and cast out a new bait when Steve had a bite on his huss rod, he gave it a couple of minutes then lifted into it, another fish on, yet again though Steve’s luck wasn’t in and it spat the bait before we could get a look at it. That’s the 3rd or 4th time it’s happened to him this year and he’s starting to wonder if he’ll ever get a big huss, I m sure his turn will come. We fished on for another hour or so but we didn’t get any more runs so we called it a night, 20 odd fish, 7 species between us and a new PB huss, once again Trefor pier had delivered the goods :yeah: .

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Well done there fella i bet your glad the weather chose your mark for you lovely scorpion fish the huss isnt bad too:)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That size 6 hook could be mine!

From Mondays session, the one I had (and dropped whilst handlining) crashed into my plugging rod rig as I got it to the surface.

rig being used at the time 2-up 1-down size 6 hooks for Pollack etc.

Wrasse is a Ballan by the way.

Good skills

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
That size 6 hook could be mine!

From Mondays session, the one I had (and dropped whilst handlining) crashed into my plugging rod rig as I got it to the surface.

rig being used at the time 2-up 1-down size 6 hooks for Pollack etc.

Wrasse is a Ballan by the way.

Good skills
Well Done to you all....nice Huss...:clap3:
Are many Cuckcoo Wrasse (spelling ?) being caught around as I dont see many postings on this........?
Coastman:)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Not heard of any Cuckoos for a while,

They're a bit like Goldsinny in respects that there is a fair element of luck in catching them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts