World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Trefor pier again last night with Steve A in search of that double figure huss, we arrived about two hours after low water armed with squid, mackerel, sandeel and black lug. A couple of guys were already fishing and told us they'd had doggies and lots of small stuff but no huss, found out today it was John Mason and a mate, nice to meet you guys.

We adopted our usual plan of attack, one big bait for the huss and one scratching rod to see what was about. Sport wasn't as frantic as a couple of weeks ago but it was steady and we'd allready landed a few doggies and a small pollack before I had a better bite on my big bait. I lifted into it and it immediately felt like a decent fish, I managed to get it almost to the pier before it spat the hook out :wah: . Sure I've read somewhere that huss do tend to hang on to a bait when they're not properly hooked and then spit it out at the last minute. I was gutted because we didn't even get to see the fish but my bait had only been out a few minutes and was still in good nick so I lobbed it back out to the same place. Within five minutes I had another decent bite but this time I gave it plenty of time and it was fish on :thumbs:. After a few minutes I managed to get it to the side of the pier but we had a slight problem, it was too big for the dropnet :g: Once again Steve was in control and after a very nerveracking ten minutes or so and a couple of near misses it was finally in the net, my best huss and my first ever double figure fish at 11 lb 8 oz.

After weighing and a couple of pics she was lowered down in the dropnet and swam on the surface away into the darkness, an amazing sight :) . Our enthusiasm level went through the roof after that and we fished hard but after a few more doggies, another small pollack and a small codling, things went quiet for an hour or so. It was Steve's turn for a good bite next but unfortunately it dragged him into a snag and he lost his rig, a little while later he was just saying that he hoped the fish wasn't tethered by his lost rig when he had another good bite and it was fish on again, he got the fish to the pier, another good huss we estimated to be around the 8 - 10 lb mark, but just as I was lowering the net it spat the bait out :cry: , Steve's turn to be gutted but as he retrieved his gear he noticed some red shockleader tangled with it, it was the rig he lost earlier, we don't know if the huss that snagged him earlier was the one he'd just lost or not but we were both gobsmacked.

We fished it hard for the rest of the session and had a couple more huss bites that we couldn't connect with so we had to make do with a couple more doggies. Total catch for the night was 16 doggies, 2 pollack, 1 codling and the huss, another brilliant session at Trefor pier, long may it remain fishable.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Well done to you matey,glad you lads had a decent session there with plenty of fish and a cracking huss as well.It`s a place i`ve not had the pleasure to fish yet but i`m off work for a week at the end of april and hope to give it a go then,it would be a travesty if the pier was closed or god forbid pulled down as so many people enjoy fishing there,well done once again,Del.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Cracking fish there - perseverance pays off!

Huss are b*ggers for just hanging onto a bait allowing themselves to be led along like a dog and then spitting it out once they realise what's going on. I occasionally crewed on the Aberystwyth charter fleet years ago, and lost count of the number of times I saw this happen!

Larger hooks might be the way to go - I used 6/0 Varivas bigmouth hooks on the pier and doggies were taking them down no probs - I wonder if pushing right up to 10/0 might do the job?

Cheers - John

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
well done on your double and a nice report. check sea angler as you can claim a specimen badge for any huss over 8lb in that area.

i have seen loads of huss just hold the bait in there mouths right to the waters edge then let go. one even had hold of a doggie round its middle.

we fished once and one of the lads lost a huss half way in,[snapped his hooklength] within minutes another one of us got a bite. the huss had the snapped rig in its mouth aswell. 2 mins after the first.

another time we were getting huss steady and had about 15 so far. we were using mackerel heads or huge sections to keep the doggies off. once a fish had been caught on a bait it was replaced and thrown into the sea at our feet. i caught a huss that proceded to vomit its insides up. it had 6 of the mackerel heads and 2 chunks it had picked up that we had thrown in.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Good skills Andy.

I'm going to test my luck there later tonight. Hopefully from around 10pm or so.

Tight Lines

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
Fished Trefor pier again last night with Steve A in search of that double figure huss, we arrived about two hours after low water armed with squid, mackerel, sandeel and black lug. A couple of guys were already fishing and told us they'd had doggies and lots of small stuff but no huss, found out today it was John Mason and a mate, nice to meet you guys.

We adopted our usual plan of attack, one big bait for the huss and one scratching rod to see what was about. Sport wasn't as frantic as a couple of weeks ago but it was steady and we'd allready landed a few doggies and a small pollack before I had a better bite on my big bait. I lifted into it and it immediately felt like a decent fish, I managed to get it almost to the pier before it spat the hook out :wah: . Sure I've read somewhere that huss do tend to hang on to a bait when they're not properly hooked and then spit it out at the last minute. I was gutted because we didn't even get to see the fish but my bait had only been out a few minutes and was still in good nick so I lobbed it back out to the same place. Within five minutes I had another decent bite but this time I gave it plenty of time and it was fish on :thumbs:. After a few minutes I managed to get it to the side of the pier but we had a slight problem, it was too big for the dropnet :g: Once again Steve was in control and after a very nerveracking ten minutes or so and a couple of near misses it was finally in the net, my best huss and my first ever double figure fish at 11 lb 8 oz.

After weighing and a couple of pics she was lowered down in the dropnet and swam on the surface away into the darkness, an amazing sight :) . Our enthusiasm level went through the roof after that and we fished hard but after a few more doggies, another small pollack and a small codling, things went quiet for an hour or so. It was Steve's turn for a good bite next but unfortunately it dragged him into a snag and he lost his rig, a little while later he was just saying that he hoped the fish wasn't tethered by his lost rig when he had another good bite and it was fish on again, he got the fish to the pier, another good huss we estimated to be around the 8 - 10 lb mark, but just as I was lowering the net it spat the bait out :cry: , Steve's turn to be gutted but as he retrieved his gear he noticed some red shockleader tangled with it, it was the rig he lost earlier, we don't know if the huss that snagged him earlier was the one he'd just lost or not but we were both gobsmacked.

We fished it hard for the rest of the session and had a couple more huss bites that we couldn't connect with so we had to make do with a couple more doggies. Total catch for the night was 16 doggies, 2 pollack, 1 codling and the huss, another brilliant session at Trefor pier, long may it remain fishable.
nice report and pics what a beautfuly huss :notworthy :clap3: shaggy

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Weldone fella a nice huss there is some beaties coming off there at the moment only wish i liked piers. Top angling:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts