World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought we'd head up there for a nice change this afternoon. Arrived at about 5pm to meet a very helpful angler just getting back to his car - thanks for all the advice whoever you are :)

He'd had lots of dogfish....

Grabbed the gear and set off, me disastrously managing to break the ceramic in the tip-ring on my K2 by not looking where I was going for a moment and catching it on the stonework:g:

Anyway we set up; I tried a couple of long casts to where there might be a tasty plaice but to no avail. Perhaps the water was too coloured - it was a soupy grey colour!

Worried about the now metal-only tip ring fraying my line, I dropped close-in with frozen mussel. Started getting knocks on small hooks but couldn't connect; a better bite then produced a coalfish around 30cm. Then a steady stream of dogfish started coming in. Mussel was the only bait they refused though it attracted more sharp knocks each cast - smaller coalies I guessed at the time.

On the "huss" rod baited with large lamprey sections on a Varivas Big Mouth 6/0 (supposed to be too big for a doggie to swallow) I had - yep, more doggies! They loved it, or squid when I switched to that! Between the two of us we must have had ten or so.

Two other lads turned up and set up near us, getting the same results - doggies and a coalie. Hope they did better after we left in search of food at 9.30pm. It seemed to go very quiet mid-flood from about 9 onwards with just an edible crab, undersized.

So a good steady session apart from the last 30 minutes, good thing as it was chilly and it paid to keep moving!

Got to hand it to the Trefor Pier Woofers. They are voracious to put it mildly! But an excellent venue - I hope it gets saved. I'll be back :)

Cheers - John

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
nice report john.

thats the main reason it should be kept open. its an easy venue and the dogs are always happy to oblige to those who just want to catch some thing.

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
Thought we'd head up there for a nice change this afternoon. Arrived at about 5pm to meet a very helpful angler just getting back to his car - thanks for all the advice whoever you are :)

He'd had lots of dogfish....

Grabbed the gear and set off, me disastrously managing to break the ceramic in the tip-ring on my K2 by not looking where I was going for a moment and catching it on the stonework:g:

Anyway we set up; I tried a couple of long casts to where there might be a tasty plaice but to no avail. Perhaps the water was too coloured - it was a soupy grey colour!

Worried about the now metal-only tip ring fraying my line, I dropped close-in with frozen mussel. Started getting knocks on small hooks but couldn't connect; a better bite then produced a coalfish around 30cm. Then a steady stream of dogfish started coming in. Mussel was the only bait they refused though it attracted more sharp knocks each cast - smaller coalies I guessed at the time.

On the "huss" rod baited with large lamprey sections on a Varivas Big Mouth 6/0 (supposed to be too big for a doggie to swallow) I had - yep, more doggies! They loved it, or squid when I switched to that! Between the two of us we must have had ten or so.

Two other lads turned up and set up near us, getting the same results - doggies and a coalie. Hope they did better after we left in search of food at 9.30pm. It seemed to go very quiet mid-flood from about 9 onwards with just an edible crab, undersized.

So a good steady session apart from the last 30 minutes, good thing as it was chilly and it paid to keep moving!

Got to hand it to the Trefor Pier Woofers. They are voracious to put it mildly! But an excellent venue - I hope it gets saved. I'll be back :)

Cheers - John
well done john nice report ,unlucky about your rod .shaggy:)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi John,

It was me and Andy that turned up while you were there.

About an hour after you left Andy hooked a 11.5lb huss that we netted, weighed, photographed and returned safely.

I also lost one last minute that looked to be knocking on the door of double figures as well (mad story to it, Andy will tell you). Loads of dogs there though wasn't there!!

Andy will put a full report and pics on after,

Steve

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah - glad you managed to find them Steve and good to meet you!

How far out were the huss hooked? I couldn't really tell how far you guys were casting. Mind you, the doggies seemed to be at all ranges!

Cheers - John

PS - gonna get a bigger dropnet before next trip (just in case)!

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Hi John,

Nice to meet you the other night.

I wasn't fishing that far out, no more than 40 yds but Steve was fishing further out and still hooked 1. As for hook sizes, I use 6/0 as well, big baits seem to be the best bet and just hope that the doggies leave it alone long enough for a huss to find it.

Hope you have better luck next time,

Andy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts