World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post on here and it's part catch report, part passing on of a pretty awful sight at Trevone today.

Myself and a couple of mates decided to fish a couple of hours either side of high water, off the rocks to the right of Trevone. All feeling pretty keen and optimistic as you do when approaching your chosen mark, whilst clambering down over the rocks we were greeted with the sight of 12-18 dead doggies laying in a rock pool....it was not a pleasant sight really, and we were left wondering why any person who calls themselves an angler would do that. We even found one that had a bit of life in it and threw it back in the sea, only to watch it sink slowly out of sight. It's just pointless slaughter, and took the shine off the day to be honest. Unless the govt have moved the crosshairs off the badgers and I missed it on the news, why the bloody hell do that??? So that's that...

The fishing was ok...I had 3 gar on float, a mackie winkled out with feathers and a little pollack, one mate having another tiddler pollack and our other mate blanking. Not much happening on the bottom, 2 bites and 2 misses, but not too bad really.

Anyone know any good gar recipes?

·
Registered
25,238 Posts
Thought there werent many dogs around as normal,could they have put them in a rockpool thinking the flood tide would wash them out later???? No need for it if it was done on purpose.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Years ago when I lived in Oxford, I grew up fishing the Thames!
Had a fishing rod and rucksack stuffed in a hollow oak tree, would catch the bus to school, forget to get off the bus at school and carry on to town, spend my lunch money on a pint of maggots, then walk to the secret oak tree, get changed and fish all day long, until the school bus arrived.
We had a pest fish in the Thames called a 'daddy ruff'.....kinda like the lesser spotted dog fish of the sea world......it's better looking brother was the perch, kinda like the greater spotted dogfish, the Huss.
Anyway, we were taught to kill all daddy ruff, because they were like the chaves of the river, unwanted, nicking everything from everyone and taking over.

Back in the day all shark were landed and killed ..........

But times have changed, for the better !!.... No need for senseless killing of anything (maybe a chave or two).....

BUT....Dogfish are a pest and should be commercially viable to catch ( other than manky pot bait), surely there's a market for fertiliser ?

Maybe sell it to the tree huggers as recycled sand paper ?

Or given to the poor country as rock salmon......bit of rice, jobs a good'un.
Then again, rice mountains are fine, sugar mountains are fine.....dogfish mountains...dunno, might affect the tourist trade!

It's a member of the shark family, so why not offer your japanese wedding party a posh meal at a budget price....poor mans shark fin soap ?

Dunno :bleh:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Every body slags off the good old doggy, but how many comps have been won by a good sized woofer and when the fishing is thin on the ground most anglers are happy for a doggy to put a bend in their rods, lets not be to harsh on these hardy fish. Ian

·
Registered
246 Posts
Must say that our first thoughts were along the lines of Cfish's thinking - was it some kind of poorly judged accident on the part of the captor(s) hoping that the tide would release the fish from the pool? Without knowing the mark it's hard to say. Or was it a deliberate act? Either way it is very sad news and more free ammunition for the anti-angling brigade.

Went down to a mark ourselves two days ago which we had been on two days previously before that. Got down there to find loads of line, beer bottles, crisp packets, empty cans and a one pound under-size Bass dead on the rock! Apart from the galling sight of the dead Bass we were incensed because we'd picked up a load of someone else's litter on our previous visit.

It makes you feel like some kind of modern day King Canute - trying fruitlessly to keep back the tide of apathy amongst some "anglers."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got to say I agree with red5 here, in that they seem to be a much maligned species and undeservedly so in my opinion, and I certainly can't see why they're a pest. They're just doing their thing same as any other fish.

Cfish, I thought the same thing at first but as it turned out we were fishing on a shelf about 15ft above the high water mark and the rockpool the dogs were in was on the same level, so there was no chance of the tide washing them back in. I'm pretty sure they were just dumped and left to suffocate.

Cheers for the welcome Mark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It makes you feel like some kind of modern day King Canute - trying fruitlessly to keep back the tide of apathy amongst some "anglers."
Yep, fruitlessly being the operative word. And you're right about this sort of thing being free ammo for the anti crowd, it's just a senseless action in every way possible! Sorry you had a similar thing the other day too...who the hell leaves a bass behind??

·
Registered
246 Posts
@ Damob - just seen your reply re: 15 feet above high water line. Looks like a pre-meditated senseless act then. Madness

You asked for a Garfish recipe? Well, we just head/tail them, gut them, wrap in silver foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees for about 25 minutes. We open up the foil for the last 5 minutes. The taste, if you haven't tried it, is akin to other oily fish but is very much stronger.

·
Registered
25,238 Posts
BUT....Dogfish are a pest and should be commercially viable to catch ( other than manky pot bait), surely there's a market for fertiliser
Invent a fancy name for them and get Hugh,jamie and rick to big em up on cooking programmes,i used to be a dab hand at catching bongos full of the things,all for a couple of red mullet!!!:uhuh:Though the dogs were used for potbait so they werent really wasted. Red5 please dont take this the wrong way but i would be ashamed to win a comp with a doggy PMSL!!!!!!!!

G

·
We had a pest fish in the Thames called a 'daddy ruff'.....kinda like the lesser spotted dog fish of the sea world......it's better looking brother was the perch, kinda like the greater spotted dogfish, the Huss.
Anyway, we were taught to kill all daddy ruff, because they were like the chaves of the river, unwanted, nicking everything from everyone and taking over.

?

Dunno :bleh:

I guess you are talking about the pumpkinseed fish ? ................. you get zillions of the blighters in France ! but they are no so common in many UK waters.

................ and there was me thinking that you were 25 generations of country bumkin inbred :bleh:............ I moved to devon when I was 3 years old and been here 57 years .......... and they still call me an import !

·
Power to the peaceful
2,160 Posts
BUT....Dogfish are a pest and should be commercially viable to catch ( other than manky pot bait), surely there's a market for fertiliser ?
i`d give that a whirl nick.....its well do`able........
dropped off whole.....> rear discharge d-spreader.......> ploughed in as soon as....
bet it would give a long term awesomeness.........:happy:

·
Registered
25,238 Posts
i`d give that a whirl nick.....its well do`able........
dropped off whole.....> rear discharge d-spreader.......> ploughed in as soon as....
bet it would give a long term awesomeness.........:happy:
What if a few small bullusess and grey dogs got thrown into the mix,they used to dig spider crabs into the allotments here years ago,good ground!!!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Utter senseless

They need stringing up by there *******s for a couple of days then horse whipped they wouldn't do it again
Probably wouldnt help much as they must that thick they wouldnt understand what was going on!! Just dont understand how people can even
contemplate doing such a mindless act!! I fish Trevone now and again and the rockpool concerned is high up, and at the back of the mark, so
rarely, if ever, gets washed out by fresh water! It's just a bloody shame that morons like this, along with the litter-leavers, never get caught
in the act by us "decent" anglers!
Cheers Steve.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've seen wrasse , mackerel and a garfish left in that pool along with buckets bags , electronic scales and much other garbage .. as had been mentioned already , this pool is at least 15 ft above the high water mark . I used to luv fishing that mark and always done reasonably well there but the amount of guff u find there isn't funny so now I avoid it and fish another mark at trevone

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've seen wrasse , mackerel and a garfish left in that pool along with buckets bags , electronic scales and much other garbage .. as had been mentioned already , this pool is at least 15 ft above the high water mark . I used to luv fishing that mark and always done reasonably well there but the amount of guff u find there isn't funny so now I avoid it and fish another mark at trevone
Electronic scales???? What is the matter with these people? I went back today and there was an old Cortina, a fridge and 3 turnips...well there wasn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was. You're right though, lovely spot being spoilt by a few halfwits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You asked for a Garfish recipe? Well, we just head/tail them, gut them, wrap in silver foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees for about 25 minutes. We open up the foil for the last 5 minutes. The taste, if you haven't tried it, is akin to other oily fish but is very much stronger.
Thanks, and I haven't tried it before so am quite looking forward it. I actually ended up filleting them, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but to be honest is a tad fiddly and probably not worth it haha! Going to deep fry them in a tempura batter and see how they go.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts