World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a fly-fishing freshwater trip (got one rainbow and a brownie) and was just wondering if anyone out there has ever experimented with using traditional or other flies in saltwater? I don't mean sea-trout/salmon flies, but the regular flies. Perhaps mullet or bass may find them attractive?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Zonkers and other lures work,but rust afterwards!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have had a bit of sucess using normal nymphs and the likefor mullet but to be honest i prfer to fish for them using the usual bread size 12 hook method.

·
Banned
400 Posts
im going to have a go on saturday, or maybe tomorrow, using boobies and growlers.

these are more like lures but i will be using teal and daddy long legs, mayfly and muddler patterns too, just to see if they work.

i'll let you know.

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
I`ve had a good few mullet turn at some small light coloured dry flies in the past as well as daddy long legs but never managed to get a firm take as yet. :unsure: :unsure:

·
Banned
400 Posts
well.

sea trout will take freshwater flies in fresh water but not in the sea.

I was at uddingston on sunday and took a couple of small sea trout on nymph and muddler patters but when I moved to rhu and tried the same patterns they completely ignored them and I switched to glass minnow and had a few takes but didnt land any.

so there you go.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks xcrisx and others, some well-researched findings there! Those trout are smarter, or more intuitive, than we imagine, it would seem!

Oh well, bread's cheaper than flies, back to trying using my loaf then! :clap3: :notworthy

·
Registered
395 Posts
hi
i have tried most flys small dry flys work well on a calm day for mullet and fritz booby work well also blood worm paterns work well at low tides fished right can give you some suprises fish very slow in slack water and any big lure will do the trick just experiment and have fun trying

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Just back from a fly-fishing freshwater trip (got one rainbow and a brownie) and was just wondering if anyone out there has ever experimented with using traditional or other flies in saltwater? I don't mean sea-trout/salmon flies, but the regular flies. Perhaps mullet or bass may find them attractive?
Richard Walkers Polystickle can be deadly at times in the sea. Particularly if the Sea Trout are taking small fry or sand eels. A tandem version of the polystickle is very effective for imitatingg larger sand eels.
Most Freshwater lures that look remotely fishy will work for Sea Trout in the sea.
Also try Shrimp imitating patterns in the sea around were rivers come in. Fish these sink and draw style around sea weed or bladder wrack weed, if Sea Trout are showing. Shrimps are a big part of the Sea Trouts diet.:)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Ist fish I caught on fly (bass, 4lb from Tenby by the RAF hut on the pier/jetty) took a Baby Doll (all-white , size 4 longshank hook). That was in May 1974!!!

Bet it would still work, and cheap as chips.

philtherod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts