World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wonder if anybody has had experience of the new volvo ql tabs, I'm about to take delivery of new boat and am debating whether to fit tabs.
like the bennet stuff but these volvo things look a doddle to fit.
the boat is 7mtrs with a semi displacement hull shaft driven to a max 23knots.

cheers.
Ron.

·
Registered
513 Posts
wonder if anybody has had experience of the new volvo ql tabs, I'm about to take delivery of new boat and am debating whether to fit tabs.
like the bennet stuff but these volvo things look a doddle to fit.
the boat is 7mtrs with a semi displacement hull shaft driven to a max 23knots.

cheers.
Ron.
See how she runs first if you haven't tried already?
Having said that, my last boat definately needed tabs, and I bought it, then fiited tabs.
Buying boats would be much easier with an infinate cheque book!!
Rgds TB

T

·
0 Posts
Hi Ron

What boat is it you have?

The QL's work very well, almost to the point that they are over sensitive.
I am not convinced by them though and personally prefer the old fashioned Bennets and the other branded variants. These have the effectof increasing hull length a little too, even if it is artificially.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Tom

Does that mean you can get more fisherman in yer boat with tabs fitted !!!!!

These have the effectof increasing hull length a little too, even if it is artificially.
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi
I fitted tabs to my starfish 8 two years ago I got no extra speed but does make the boat handle a little better at speed.

Cheer's Kris.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hello lads thanks for the reply , tom its a new beneteau 7 same hull as the old 710and merryfisher 695.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi ronw,
I had a look at the QL tabs and others before going for the Bennett ones. With the VP QL tabs, I did not like the idea of a multiwire plug mounted just inside the transom under water level. My opinion, asking for trouble. I know of one mate who tried to fit them to a Hellraiser 23, in the end he chickened out and went for Lenco's. Also not ones that I would chose.
I have the Bennett tabs fitted to my Beneteau 710. The main benefit that i have found is the fact that you can level out boat when steaming ideal when the crew are on one side. Second benefit, is I can gain perhaps 0.5 knotts out of the boat by altering the trim when at a certain revs. I must say on full throttle the boat performs slightly better when the tabs are retracted. If you go for the Bennett tabs, ask for the straight fittings, (rather than the angled ones) with the rams. You can make of the hydraulic pipes onto the rams complete, then you can feed them through the hole in transom from the rear of the boat .

Hope this some help
Steve

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hello Steve

great post and picture very helpful , what size tabs did you fit and did you put a backing plate on the inside of the hull,as the boat I'm buying is a new model I dont know what access is like till I get a good look.
not keen on the lenco tabs as I know some folk who've had water ingress probs.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I have the Benett on my boat. I wasn't happy about just screwing them into the transom with the suplied fixings although I am pretty sure they are adequate. I used their supplied plate to make a copy as a backing pad and bolted them through with 6mm 316 bolts on plenty of Sikaflex. Probably overkill but that is what I like on a boat.

They are fantastic for trimming the boat but when I use them they take a knot or two off the speed. I hate running unless the boat is perfectly trimmed so it is a fair trade to me. Dead easy to fit, I even got a Video in the box of bits to show how to do it.

Got mine at a cracking price from Magic Marine. When I phoned the number I got through to the owner who was out fishing, he had his calls diverted to his mobile. Well impressed with his knowledge on what kit I needed and took my order then and there, arrived 2 days later.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have the Benett on my boat. I wasn't happy about just screwing them into the transom with the suplied fixings although I am pretty sure they are adequate. I used their supplied plate to make a copy as a backing pad and bolted them through with 6mm 316 bolts on plenty of Sikaflex. Probably overkill but that is what I like on a boat.

They are fantastic for trimming the boat but when I use them they take a knot or two off the speed. I hate running unless the boat is perfectly trimmed so it is a fair trade to me. Dead easy to fit, I even got a Video in the box of bits to show how to do it.

Got mine at a cracking price from Magic Marine. When I phoned the number I got through to the owner who was out fishing, he had his calls diverted to his mobile. Well impressed with his knowledge on what kit I needed and took my order then and there, arrived 2 days later.
Same on my Orkney 590, it took the edge of the top end, but it certainly enhanced the boat on anything but flat seas which are few and far between.
Rgds TB.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ronw,
What I have seen of the new series 7 the fuel tank runs full width across the stern. Access to the inside of my transom was awkward to say the least. I would have thought it is probably worse on yours, but I haven't had a good look. As Chrisp mentioned, the mounting of the top of the rams is by 3 stainless screws, If I could have got to the inside, then I would have bolted through a plate, same as Chris. I must admit, I was quite surprised at the thin layup of glass at the area of fixing. But it was a mixture of glass mat and glass rovings. In my opinion, the only time there possibly could be a problem with the fixings. Is if you left the tabs fully down and powered full bore in reverse. This would put an awful lot of pressure on the screws. When you think of it most of the time the rams are under pressure pushing out towards the transom and down towards the water, trying to lift the stern.
As for size, I bought the 18"x 12" from Magic Marine, http://www.magicmarine.co.uk/trimtabs/stocklist_kits.html
When I mentioned to Tombettle about this size, he warned me that they could cause the boat to plow in at the bow, when fully extended, but I have had no problems at all. I checked the size with Magic marine and these are recommended for semi displacement boats between 22ft to 27ft. If you have any queries give MM a ring I found the owner very helpful.

Cheers
Steve

T

·
0 Posts
Hi Steve
Interested to hear yours are fine. I am surprised as we fitted the recommended size to a semi D boat a little bigger and it was very funny watching it bury it's nose.

I am very pleased yours do the job well, but woiuld simply like to add that the ones I fitted to Quest II were a size down and work perfectly without having being at all sensitive and tricky to adjust.

Tom

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi Tom,
If you recall, you did warn me about fitting the 18"x12" tabs. But because of the price at the time, I went for them. I must say, I personally have not had any tricky moments. The control is very steady and gradual. I have purposely trimmed them fully down to see if I simulate a sub, but thank goodness, no problems. The only thing that I have found, is that I can steer the boat with them!
As long as you a sensible, I cant fault them. My only regret is, that I did not fit a trim indicator at the time. I am looking at perhaps fitting the Lowrance net senders to rams when the boat comes out in June. See how the funds are?

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hi steve your right about the tank and theres a locker either side of italso which made me wonder about the backing plates which I think would be better , may be able to take the tank out, I'd be more concerned about hitting something at speed.
chris I'dagree I'm not so interested in speed but being properley trimmed when theres four of us on board would be what I want.
Ron.

T

·
0 Posts
Hi Tom,
I have purposely trimmed them fully down to see if I simulate a sub, but thank goodness, no problems. Steve
Just spat my coffee all over my screen Steve.

I truly have got a short (mobile phone) video of a Merry Fisher 925 at over 20 knots sudeenly doing an impression of a U boat when the skipper put the tabs fully down. If I can find it I'll post it. Absolutely hilarious.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts