World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read about trim tabs beeing fitted to boats lately, can anyone give me some info on the pros and cons of them and how you go about fitting i have a warrior 150 and woul theymake any dif to my boat!!! thanx.:help: :doh: :wallbash:

·
Registered
609 Posts
If trim tabs were any good why don't the boat yards stick them on from the start? :g:

Just getting in first as a Doel-fin fan. :clap2:

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If trim tabs were any good why don't the boat yards stick them on from the start? :g:

I ALLREADY HAVE THEM FITTED SO THERE IS NO NEED FOR TRIM TABS IS IT:g:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts

Because they cost money that the boat yards don't want to spend.

They don't really perform the same function as a Doel fin and they can make a huge difference to the stability and comfort of most boats.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

Do you know that is one of the daftest statements!

If 4 wheel drive is so good why don't all manufacturers make only 4 wheel drive cars?

If three wheeled cars work why have 4 wheeled ones?

Wanna go on?
If first class is so good why have tourist class?

Down here in Poole there are a lot of Warriors particularly in PBSBAC. Most (if not all now) are fitted with Smartabs. The guys that own the boats are all experianced blokes and know what they are doing. I guess that says a lot for Trim Tabs on Warriors.
I had a Samurai (same hull as a Warrior) and fitted Smartabs. They made the boat get up on the plane about 4 or 5 knts earlier, improved the trim setting affect no end and made the boat much steadier.

Afishionado

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
THANX AFISHIONADO WOULD YOU SAY THERES ENOUGH ROOM ON MY TRANSOM
WITH THE LADDER AND TRANDUCER?????

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z191/BARRYJOHN2006/DSCF1873.jpg

Not being personal but how big is your transom? Also the boats?

They need to be mounted equidistant and level with the lower edge. Whether you have room or not depends on where you have stuff mounted.
Have a look at # 190087824649 on ebay for a better idea of what we fit and use.

Afishionado

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I fitted Bennett Hydraulic sport tabs to my boat which had a drop down ladder similar to yours. I modded the ladder so it folds down over the tab. looking at your transom I would say you will have to move both transducer and ladder or come up with a mod so the ladder will go over the tab.

I can adjust the tabs from the cabin so I can trim the boat side to side as well as bow up or down. I think they are a great stability aid.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I fitted Bennett Hydraulic sport tabs to my boat which had a drop down ladder similar to yours. I modded the ladder so it folds down over the tab. looking at your transom I would say you will have to move both transducer and ladder or come up with a mod so the ladder will go over the tab.

I think Chris might be mistaken about the ladder. Mine is in the same place as yours and Idid quite a bit of measuring when I was considering smart tabs a few months ago. The transducer might be a problem though. And I would be worried about the auxiliary on the bracket impacting the smart tab when it was lowered. But I seem to remember that others said that the aux goes far enough out to miss the tab. If you do a search on here you might find the previous discussions.
Mike

·
Registered
609 Posts

Do you know that is one of the daftest statements!

If 4 wheel drive is so good why don't all manufacturers make only 4 wheel drive cars?

If three wheeled cars work why have 4 wheeled ones?

Wanna go on?
If first class is so good why have tourist class?

Down here in Poole there are a lot of Warriors particularly in PBSBAC. Most (if not all now) are fitted with Smartabs. The guys that own the boats are all experianced blokes and know what they are doing. I guess that says a lot for Trim Tabs on Warriors.
I had a Samurai (same hull as a Warrior) and fitted Smartabs. They made the boat get up on the plane about 4 or 5 knts earlier, improved the trim setting affect no end and made the boat much steadier.

Afishionado
Good Lord boy, read the back pages then work ut why my reply was humour...:blink:

Doel Fins do a great on on smaller boats ( like this one ) yet the exact quote is always dragged out about them "why don't outboard manufacturers fit them as original equipment"

·
Registered
794 Posts
Smart tabs seem universally agreed to do the business on the Warrior hull (when you get the right ones) but on the other hand, Doelfins are about a third of the price, don't involve making holes in the transom, don't compromise shallow launch or drying mooring scenarios and completely eliminated porpoising on my friend's 150, it runs beautifully flat and level.

FWIW, I'll be fitting trim tabs as I've got a set waiting, but not until after the summer expedition to Porlock where I have to sit on a drying mooring for two weeks...

Steve

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Fins do do a similar job to tabs as far as I can see? The advantage with the tabs over fins though is, the independant adjustment on either side. Which must be a good thing with uneven weight distrubition in the boat, for trimming it level.
Fins work well on my Hog but you still have the problem of balance. Gear and bodies needs to be arranged properly
Dave.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Fins do do a similar job to tabs as far as I can see? The advantage with the tabs over fins though is, the independant adjustment on either side. Which must be a good thing with uneven weight distrubition in the boat, for trimming it level.
Fins work well on my Hog but you still have the problem of balance. Gear and bodies needs to be arranged properly
Dave.
Hmmmmm .... very tempting then, as I see our local shop has them for about £24. Last night was a bit choppy so every now and then the boat woul bob a bit up and down at the front at about 22mph - and more importantly slow down temporarily. So are we saying that this effect would be damped down by the doel fin. I'm not sure that the smart tabs are independently adjustable, but I guess they may self compensate, so that if one side of the boat is leaning down more heavily, that particular smart tab might work harder to correct the lean.

I have to say that my boat currently does not seem to be affected by weight distribution when there's only me on board. The Auxiliary weighs about 30 kilos and is the only thing on that side of the boat that could be balancing me sitting in the driver's seat .... and I weight about 90 kilos. On a calm day I can set the steering straight ahead and cruise at 20 knots and probably never have to touch the wheel for a mile or more.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Hmmmmm .... very tempting then, as I see our local shop has them for about £24. Last night was a bit choppy so every now and then the boat woul bob a bit up and down at the front at about 22mph - and more importantly slow down temporarily. So are we saying that this effect would be damped down by the doel fin. I'm not sure that the smart tabs are independently adjustable, but I guess they may self compensate, so that if one side of the boat is leaning down more heavily, that particular smart tab might work harder to correct the lean.

I have to say that my boat currently does not seem to be affected by weight distribution when there's only me on board. The Auxiliary weighs about 30 kilos and is the only thing on that side of the boat that could be balancing me sitting in the driver's seat .... and I weight about 90 kilos. On a calm day I can set the steering straight ahead and cruise at 20 knots and probably never have to touch the wheel for a mile or more.
I don't know but it certainly is a cheap fix if it works.
I did PM a forum member that I had seen a Warrior launch at Dunbar before me with no tabs. 2 up. I launched after them and caught up at about 20 knots behind him. To just have a look see as the boat was on my list. It was noticible that it was not very stable and it sort of leaned to one side or the other and only sat up straight for brief periods. I forgot to take note of the motor unfortunately.
My Hog is very stable in comparison and It kind of put me off and made me have a rethink on buying a Warrior.
This is just an observation of that one boat! I don't wan't any flak from Warrior owners please!
Tabs seem to be the way to sort out Warrior handling judging by the comments on the forum.
Dave.
Dave.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts