World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what,s the difference between the shimano trinidad 12 and the 14 ? as according to the specs i,ve read the line capacity is the same.
is the 12 alot smaller reel ? i,m assuming the 14 is about the same size as the old speedmaster tsm2cfs. any help would be appreciated A

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Just for now,the 12 holds 220 of 16lb the 14 holds 270 of 16lb and weighs 0.3oz more Browny will fill in the missing details later no doubt.:thumbs:

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
what,s the difference between the shimano trinidad 12 and the 14 ? as according to the specs i,ve read the line capacity is the same.
is the 12 alot smaller reel ? i,m assuming the 14 is about the same size as the old speedmaster tsm2cfs. any help would be appreciated A

Interceptor is right about the line capacity;)

Think of a abu 65' sized reel and a 55' sized reel - the difference being a tad lighter from having a narrower cage and spool - meaning less line capacity. Thats the main physical difference between the reels in question, below are difference's fishing wise.

The trini 12 is a better reel for casting than the 14 size. I've modified mine (for more distance). The controlling ratchet dial on the left end plate (ratchet side) which controls the drag in freespool at different settings, is fully dis-engaged. This dial has a cog underneath the sideplate that doesn't fully dis-engage when in freespool, this slows the reel down an awful lot if you want to cast good distances with it.
If you use this dial, you also have to make sure it's on it's lightest drag setting before casting.
If you plan on using it on a boat only, the ratchet dial will probably be handy to you, then you just got to consider what depths you'll be fishing it at for what model choosen.
For jigging purposes the 12 size is better with narrower spool it has, this is bcoz you got less distance to thumb the line accross the spool, making it easier work.

Anymore info just ask and i'll see if i can help!!!

Browny,

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interceptor is right about the line capacity;)

Think of a abu 65' sized reel and a 55' sized reel - the difference being a tad lighter from having a narrower cage and spool - meaning less line capacity. Thats the main physical difference between the reels in question, below are difference's fishing wise.

The trini 12 is a better reel for casting than the 14 size. I've modified mine (for more distance). The controlling ratchet dial on the left end plate (ratchet side) which controls the drag in freespool at different settings, is fully dis-engaged. This dial has a cog underneath the sideplate that doesn't fully dis-engage when in freespool, this slows the reel down an awful lot if you want to cast good distances with it.
If you use this dial, you also have to make sure it's on it's lightest drag setting before casting.
If you plan on using it on a boat only, the ratchet dial will probably be handy to you, then you just got to consider what depths you'll be fishing it at for what model choosen.
For jigging purposes the 12 size is better with narrower spool it has, this is bcoz you got less distance to thumb the line accross the spool, making it easier work.

Anymore info just ask and i'll see if i can help!!!

Browny,
thank,s for your help, what is the width of the 12 and 14 from the outside of each sideplate and diameter of the sideplates ? overall i,m looking for the one closest in size to the old speedmaster tsm2fsc. also why is the 12 better for casting ? many thanks A

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
thank,s for your help, what is the width of the 12 and 14 from the outside of each sideplate and diameter of the sideplates ? overall i,m looking for the one closest in size to the old speedmaster tsm2fsc. also why is the 12 better for casting ? many thanks A

Can't tell you about the 14 size (don't own that model, but it's v.similar in size to a torium).

The 12 has an outside to outisde sideplate width of 60mm (same measurement for it's sideplate diameter). The spools width is 37mm (not measuring the spools rim).

Think of present reels like penn 525 - 535, 6500 - 7000, slosh 20 - 30, the smaller models apart from the abu 55' size which is on par with it's bigger 65' & 66' model size - all cast better distances than the larger models. (Then again, i haven't got my hands on a 14 size trini and modified it, so can't really tell from 'experience'). The below comment is from experience as far as i'm aware;)
The man assoicated (not sure if he still is now) with shimano and used to write articles for magazines said to get the smaller model trini for better distances too :p

Hope this helps you out mukka!!!

·
Banned
420 Posts
hi m8 the 14 is more or less the the same size as the old speedmaster. ive afew 14s and they are pucka

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
hi m8 the 14 is more or less the the same size as the old speedmaster. ive afew 14s and they are pucka
I have 2 Shimano Torium 14's. Cracking reels..... at a good price too.

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Once you go silky (smooth) you wont go back!!! (if it's affordable) LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!:lmao:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't tell you about the 14 size (don't own that model, but it's v.similar in size to a torium).

The 12 has an outside to outisde sideplate width of 60mm (same measurement for it's sideplate diameter). The spools width is 37mm (not measuring the spools rim).

Think of present reels like penn 525 - 535, 6500 - 7000, slosh 20 - 30, the smaller models apart from the abu 55' size which is on par with it's bigger 65' & 66' model size - all cast better distances than the larger models. (Then again, i haven't got my hands on a 14 size trini and modified it, so can't really tell from 'experience'). The below comment is from experience as far as i'm aware;)
The man assoicated (not sure if he still is now) with shimano and used to write articles for magazines said to get the smaller model trini for better distances too :p

Hope this helps you out mukka!!!
that is a little reel mate ! those dimensions are pretty near the same as an abu 5000. what bs and o/d mono do you use on yours ? A

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
that is a little reel mate ! those dimensions are pretty near the same as an abu 5000. what bs and o/d mono do you use on yours ? A
15lb sufix tritanium - stated dia .35 - consistant dia .36

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for your help lads, i think on the face of it i need to go for the 14 as i want to load it with 0.40 line. the stated line capacity still isn,t as much as a 7ht for example so it still should be nice and compact and cast well, hope i,m making the right decision ! lol many thanks again A

·
Banned
420 Posts
i dont think youll be dissapointed with the 14 m8 brilliant bit of kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts