World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to invest in a good tripod rod rest. I have been sea fishing for about 7 months now and have slowly been building up my armory so to speak. The rest I bought some months ago now was a "do for now" type of thing to see if I stuck the fishing game. Cost was about £10.00 but the rest only takes a single rod, is a fixed height and has no leg ties/supports so can be unsteady especially in a strong wind.
A fairly new rod I bought rod has fallen on numerous occasions and I have had to get four new eyes put on in the space of 2 months !!!! which is a bit of a bummer.

Anybody out there can recommend a good tripod rest and the typical cost and a supplier. I have seen many in the fishing mags. and it seems that a good one is likely to set me back £30 to £35.00. I quite fancy the sound of the Mustad De-Luxe model.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
hi mate, thers loads about, i wont bother with mail order, the prices are rufferly the same in the fishing shops, pop down your local and ask the shop owner.

kelvin

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Mark I bought mine in stormy down market £20 , adjustable to the mark excuse the punn, two cups two holders centre hook for keep ethier the northstar on or weight down in heavy winds.
Don,t know where you from if you dont know where i'm talking about I agree with kelvin.There are no mail order companies that wont charge postage for an item like that , therfore its just as cheap to pick one up from a tackle shop.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kelvin & Jury,

Yeah I agree the prices in the mags. are not that much different to those in my local tackle shop and there will be a mail order charge on top too.

I am from Neath so I know stormy down area but do not know where the market is. What days is the market on. If it is a Saturday are they open tomorrow (doubt it).

Jury, what type of rest did you get for £20.00, that sounds a good price compared to the type I have seen which are more the £30.00 mark.

Thanks lads & Happy New Year.

Mark

·
Registered
188 Posts
Its no a named rest but I have compared to others when fishing and its as good as anyone has , Stormy is open on sunday, but the same guy is in reola on sat but not tomorrow I think.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jury,

I know the guy you mean cos I bought 2 beach casters, reels, bits and bobs from from him at Rheola market.

I will give him a visit Sunday if the market will be open ??? but where abouts in stormy down is it . Can you see it off the A48 Road ???

Cheers
Mark

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also bought one off the guy on Rheola, It`s the one that is being sold under the Ron Thomson / Shakespeare name for £35. It`s the best Tripod I have seen and a bargain at £20.

·
Banned
280 Posts
I got the Ian Golds 6ft Standard Double tripod for £20 + postage (£6ish courier) from Gerrys, seemed a good deal at the time. 2 cups, hook etc etc

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks dock dropper but this guy selling them off £20.00 a go at the local markets sounds good enough for me.

Jury - Do you know if Stormy Down market will be open today (Sunday 2/1/05), what time does it usually get into swing and how do you get there. Is it off the A48 road ????

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought one of the guy in Rheola last year, oops, 2003. I've had to change the aluminium leg braces/trace holders because one broke. I made them out of steel without any problem. One of the bottom cups has come loose and now slides along the bar but I think the damage done was by me in transportation, no other reason. I paid £25 and have seen him offer them for £15 a few months ago. Excellent gear for the money. Apart from the flimsy ali bracing strips, which are probably the same on expensive models, it's been a great piece of kit. No probs.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I have managed to pick up a tripod rest from the stall at Rheola market and paid £19.99. It looks the part and seems as good as others I have seen in the tackle shops. The unit is made of Aluminium and coated in a black plastic fusion epoxy. The only minor critisicm I have is the coating is chipped in small areas and has been touched up with paint, but that is being really picky, which will probably get more damage when used.

Now its getting out there and giving it a go.

Tight lines........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts