World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new tripod, and online I came across the MTI Storm Pod, but they have seem to gone out of business a while ago.
So I am now between the Ian Gold Super Match DB1, the VMO Match/ Pro Match from Veals or the Parker Pro Match from UK Hooks.

I would appreciate people's opinion and advice on those.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Get a Salt very nice stable tripods i have an mti & a golds aswell only really use the mti & the salt nowadays

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the MTI and Ian Gold Super Match. Only use the Ian Golds. Nice and light and fairly compact when folded flat. Have a mate with the salt and he finds it a pain in the bottom fixing the head and butt cups each session.

I dont think you can go wrong with the Golds. If you do decide on one i have the 6 foot one. Never been a problem in any weather so far.

Jabez

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've got the salt, MTI and the gold's 6ft. Mainly use the gold's (make sure you have the leg lock fitted). The other two are also good but a bit of a pain fitting the cups and head prior to use-find all three are stable.
Hope this helps
Ian

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have the MTI and Ian Gold Super Match. Only use the Ian Golds. Nice and light and fairly compact when folded flat. Have a mate with the salt and he finds it a pain in the bottom fixing the head and butt cups each session.

I dont think you can go wrong with the Golds. If you do decide on one i have the 6 foot one. Never been a problem in any weather so far.

Jabez
I don't believe it some people:doh: i never take the cups off just do exactly the same as any other spin them vertical strap it to my holdall i know someone else who got rid of theirs for just that reason & believe it or not they were fed up of having to slide it back down to get it in its bag :laugh:when i said why didn't you just spin them upright the reply was didn't think you could & why do you need to put it in its bag when it just straps to a holdall like any other i will photograph it tomorrow just so you folk can see you dont have to take it apart all the time

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Golds for lightness and salt for stability.
Both very good.

Cheers,
Luis

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
parker and use either the goldsy or parker add ons that will fit straight on.

i've got the twin and single golds heads (3 sided diamond) and the rig holders that slide up the round legs from the goldsy range. and the trace bare and leg locking kit from parker. just pick and choice whats best for you.

G

·
Shakey Salt for me at the minute but it does my head in as the heads are not very sturdy at all, I'm just waiting for it to fall apart or "accidentally" break somehow so I can go buy a Golds :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
shaky salt for me too ive had mine from day 1 still good as new the mti is quality too, not a huge fan of the golds myself seen a few have the cups smash after being knocked over my the wind, but plenty of fans so must be decent

·
Registered
159 Posts
go for the salt the golds is dated falls over to easy bit to light and cheap feeling for fishing in all but perfect conditions heads break bars bend etc etc. were great in there day but they have had there day unless its a windless day

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
go for the salt the golds is dated falls over to easy bit to light and cheap feeling for fishing in all but perfect conditions heads break bars bend etc etc. were great in there day but they have had there day unless its a windless day
My golds is fine, Ive had parker ones, but not tried the Salt. My last Golds 6ft supermatch lasted 15years and still going strong but sold it last year as Ive bought the 7ft db1. If a tripod will last you 15 years plus no need to buy any other, get a golds!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
my ian golds tripod is 20 years old and is going as good as the day i got it !!! ( hope i am not tempting fate ) !!!!!!LOL

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Here's the photo of the salt with head & cups turned like all others obviously you folk that don't like them or have mates that don't like them because you have to take off the heads & cups off every time you use them" :doh:know how to unscrew the fastener:clap3:. so once you've unscrewed it sufficiently resist the urge to take off completely & rotate.Left or right wont matter once you have them upright tighten them just like any other then stand back & admire :oops:& wonder why did i not think of treating it the same way as other tripods

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ask the same question myself, Golds 7ft db1 was the answer, long enough to push the legs well in to the shingle, hang a bucket of water off the hook and
its rock solid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts