World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying the Mustad deluxe match tripod about 2 months ago, I have decided it is now time to go and get a tripod that is mean't to be used for holding sea fishing rods!

I have been looking at three tripods, the Shakespere salt, veals and Ian Golds. After reading a few bad threads on here about the quality of the salt tripod I have narrowed it down to two, the Veals one and an Ian Golds. Which one of these two would you recommend?

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Ian golds. Nice and light, easy to set up and good build quality. Its the one i would choose (supermatch).

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I use the veals - Match deluxe or somethng like that I think it was called- its the one with the twin metal heads- anyway it was £39.95- No complaints at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use the veals standard, think its £29.99, works perfect, is not heavy but still very stable and holds rods as you'd expect. Great for the money, but if you are willing to spend more get the Ian Golds as i'v heard great things about it.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Bagstar the MTI tripod will be in the WSf shop very soon. I'm gonna be a guiney pig and get one. I reckon it'll be top notch though.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've owned one very simlar to the veals one and there was nothing wrong with it, however I have the Ian Golds one now and find not only does it do the job great, but it has a few nice little touches here and there, like pointed legs for pushing into sand and a little "kickstand" that you can use to push the rear leg in, trace holding "lugs" on the legs etc. etc. Plus if its good enough for Goldsie, it'll do for me.

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
got to be ian golds i have 2 and use them all the time in all weather over sand/shingle they always hold firm only thing i have done to them is cut pipe lagging to size and glue them into the cups so to stop the rods turning and scraping i also use the same pipe lagging and slip it over one of the legs use insulating tape to stop it moving up/down the leg of the rest and use that stick your weight into while baiting up as it stops it spinning about in the wind apart from that my ian golds tripod is spot on check out the bucket link below to see the rest and cups etc..tightlines andy ilsf..

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
cut pipe lagging to size and glue them into the cups so to stop the rods turning and scraping i also use the same pipe lagging and slip it over one of the legs use insulating tape to stop it moving up/down the leg of the rest and use that stick your weight into while baiting up as it stops it spinning about in the wind
two great tips there ilsf:clap3:..... i'm gonna try them both.. i can see the day when tackle shops sell pipe insulation coz its such versatile stuff!!!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I have a the veals pro (exactly the same as the parker pro) and it is a brillaint bit of kit. Very strong, sturdy and still light :fish:

·
Registered
236 Posts
id go for the parker ive got one and it is a really nice tripod nice n sturdy and got no flimsy plastic bits on it i payed 35 for mine..

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
ian golds for me, have the 5ft one at present, soon upgrading to the heavier duty one, not because the other isn't up to it, but cos i need another rest (mrs comes along alot now) and like the original one so much.

i do have a small IG rest, but it's not very stable, i wanna see a rod bounce when i have a decent bass, not listen for the tripod going over !

big ones are great though !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts