World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to get a new tripod as the one i have at the moment is abit small, so preferbly i would like somthing around 5-7ft ajustable

anyone use any websites to buy? any cheap sites? looked on e-bay but they are rubbish things

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
velas pro tirpod £40 bit steep but its a solid thing, double heads which are padded and 2 front legs are adjustable. also the rig hanger/extra head is a good buy at £10. expensive but will last for ages

·
Registered
439 Posts
got the veals pro, very good and solid, leg lock kit with trace hanger is pants, made from plasticine, cunningly disguesd as aliminium.

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
as mike said above the ian golds tripod well made lasts for yrs mine have and their good in the wind ian golds well made well used that says it all hope this helps andy ilsf....:) :boat:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Take a look a the daiwa one. It will extend far more than any others I'm aware of and comes at a bit over £30. Try mainwairings in swansea. Shops that stock it are finding they don't sell anything else.

John

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Stay well clear of the Mustad tripods, they are to flimsy. Can't ever tell which rod I have a bite on with mine as when one rod bounces so does the other!

·
Registered
236 Posts
if you dont mind spending abit more id say the parker models are a good choice really sturdy and the build is just quality have a look in spotty dog tackle mate i think they sell them

·
Registered
151 Posts
had a good few over the years and to me the new diawa one is the best was on a pier in bad winds and all you could hear was tripod dropping all day with the winds and the diawa one i had just got stopped uphad a few people looking at my tripod and thinking look at that cocky **** hehehe

got mine from http://www.birdstackle.com/daiwa_sea/beachcaster_tripod.htm

bloke was a star and it came the next day so i would use him again

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
As ever the Ian Golds tripods are great i have had mine for 6-7 years and all i have had to replace is the cups due to them being broken. If you occasionally wash it in warm soapy water and spray it with WD40 regularly it will lasta very long time.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
if you dont mind spending abit more id say the parker models are a good choice really sturdy and the build is just quality have a look in spotty dog tackle mate i think they sell them
I got one recently, 6ft long, double headed fully adjustable top rest, adjustable butt rest, ally angle section main support with adjustable legs. Cost a bit more to have the adjustable top rests but worth it, cost me about 35 quid I think, the trace bars and leg locks are extra, but I've managed without them so far. I do miss them though so I'm going to pinch them off my old one and see if they fit. :)

Without the adjustable top rest it would have been 30 quid which is a bargain, and it will last for years, good and solid design as well. ;)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Shaunsafc link to the daiwa tripod doesn't do it justice. The front bar and be moved up a lot higher than that. Fully extended it has to be seen to believed.

Thanks for the link - I'll add it to my list. Nice to know of places that give good service. A very good price too.

John

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
ian golds super match tripod i got mine with all extras leg locking kit trace bar etc 42 quid best tri pod there is in my opion the daiwa is good but very clumbersom

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
another vote for the ian golds supermatch!
excellent tripod and will last a long time.
PS

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I can't really see how it can be described as very cumbersome. It's easy to set up. It is a bit heavier than many but that's often a plus. The thing I would knock is the bag - hopeless although I do understand that they have changed that since I bought mine.

Out of curiosity though does anybody know if it now comes with a sling? Getting the top and bottom rests in the old one is a bit of a joke too.

Single rod cup and rest would be a nice extra.

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts