World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

im looking at getting a ABU 5000 or 6000 for trolling plugs after bass. i am buying a light boat rod (6lb class) and what a reel to use with it.

so which one? ABU 5000 or 6000? it would be perfect for bream and other smaller stuff too.

any other ideas??

Jamie

T

·
0 Posts
If you can step to it Jamie then a little Avet SX lever drag is perfect for what you plan to do and the lever drag will be a boon for trolling too.
Incredibly powerful reel for it's size, with 9lb of drag in the strike position (easily adjustable) and gears that are made of metal rather than chocolate.

That said, I do occasionally employ an Abu 5500 for Bassing when I am casting plugs etc. This reel was originally designed for Salmon anglers so can easily handle a few Bass. Not great for winching weights up and down in gernal down tide conditions, but for casting light pugs and occassional trolling it will do fine.

Tom

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Shimano Tekota 300 or a 500 should do the job well, the Cardiff 300 as mentioned before is similar but cheaper. Of the other small trolling reels available there is the Daiwa Millionaire 300X and the Shimano Callisto CSO-100 which is available very cheaply on eBay (approx £35). If trolling for bass though why not try using a Shimano baitrunner reel as the baitrunner feature is particularly useful .

T

·
0 Posts
If trolling for bass though why not try using a Shimano baitrunner reel as the baitrunner feature is particularly useful .
Has much the same effect as using a lever drag.
I have a couple of 6000 sized Shimano baitrunners and they are invaluable in certain circumstances. The 4000 size is probably a good all round choice and will still work well for light jigging (dexter wedge etc).

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I like the Shimano Baitrunners in the 5000 and 6000 sizes. The only problem is that they feel 'wrong' on a boat rod. I used them on uptiders and a 6lb class rod but felt they were unbalanced so switched back to using a carp rod instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts