World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many of you on here will have used this method of fishing and caught fish as well either by accident or design, as I have done in Cornwall for the lowly Mackerel, and in Australia for much bigger stuff, what I want to know is what would be your suggested optimum speed to troll at, we have all sorts of lures, i.e. poppers and divers, softs and hard, and as the water in our area is definately cleaning up (at times) on the neaps, we wonder if trolling may be answer, last weekend being a case in point, my mate Steve was startled by a large silver fish that broke surface close to the boat, he was unable determine the species, I only saw the "ring" as drifted past, and it must have been pretty big. So any advice for us? Oh I forgot to mention we are in the Thames Estuary, not the cleanest water in the world.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My Dad used to troll red gills accross the KK, Sunk and Longsand with good results. I will ask him but from what I remember we used to troll at about 2knotts.

Matt Lee on the Mica Rose has experimented, but its up to him if he wishes to pass on any hints.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I have done it with very large spoons for pike on the Broards,, again 2 knotts seemed good speed. Takes are great when trolling!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
A few years ago I used to have an Alaska and we mainly use to fish off Palm Bay and during the summer we always trolled in from the fishing grounds, and we used diving vanes which we could set the lures at different depths, one to find fish and also to stop tangles, and we used to be fairly successful with bass to 5lb and ambicious mackeral and although we could not accurately tell our speed I would have guessed approx 3 to 4 knotts.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
i have found you need clearish water, but have had some good success in the stour on certain marks, those tempest sidewinder sand eels worked well for the bass, or any other shad over plugs. plugs work well as long as there is no weed about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts