World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just noticed a member in the scottish section reporting on his boat trip from arbroath, using tronix rigs

right.... not sure about them all....but the macky ones, silver flashy ones... be carefull if you have them on your beachcaster

fishing with my mate 3 weeks ago at the local breakwater, he said to me.... im not that keen on that knot holding the weight clip

2 casts later and i am ducking for my life, the knot slipped open and the wieght came racing towards me at an almighty speed, dont know how but i managed to get my head down, felt like one of those cartoons when the head goes in side the body lol.. anyway, it missed me by 1 inch MAX :shutup:

happened again with the next rig, but well away from me.. 2 in a row is not good !!!!! bad batch???

laughing about it now tho :laugh::laugh::laugh:

but please check the knots :victory:

cheers karl

·
Registered
417 Posts
I always tie my own swivel and lead clip on feather rigs for casting and give them a good pull, at least then I've got some confidence that I can cast them with some degree of safety. Then I put them in the plastic bags that I use for all my rigs and write on what B/S line they're tied on - if they're tied with 50 or 60lb line then I know I can get away with using them on a beachcaster. Although most of my feathering is done with a bass rod and a 3oz lead.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I always use spinning rod and 2oz pear lead - seems a bit overkill to bang them out on the beachcaster with 5oz lead

·
Registered
255 Posts
I always use them with a beach caster. As its been said...check the line strength.

I find 5oz weight helps them sink a lot quicker which can get more bites and also get it out into the shoal if they are not in close

·
Registered
138 Posts
hahaha yeah they are not really made for beach castin, boat use only really, silly boys

·
Registered
25,149 Posts
I allways wonder about feather rigs,the majority of people over head thump them when casting,i dont think the manufacturers design them for power casting,if someone puts on a 6 or 8oz lead and does a pendulem then serves them right.:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

·
Crinkly line
2,643 Posts
Even in very fast/deep water I cant see why would have to use more then 3oz, Most feather rig body's are only tied with around 30lbish bs line so cant take the stress of chucking 4-5oz on a more powerful rod, Although you didn't mention what weight you were using?

I wouldn't say they are a bad batch, Perhaps their Just being used beyond the limits of what they were designed for?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Hi Karl ,

i noticed this also, if casting anything over 2 oz.

what ive done and tried it last few sessions , is made up my own rig body with either 50 or 60 lb mainline, depending on weight used ,

and cut up the new traces and tied the lures and a short lenght off mono onto my stronger rig body.

wee bit hassle doing all this , but it works fine and safe m8.

Andy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts