World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
won one of these for 5 quid on a bonus ball lotto online on wedensday night anyone have any experiance of them ? they seem to be retailing around 300 pounds

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Fantastic rods. The equivalent of much more expensive rods. Enough power for 5-6oz yet still shows the tiniest of bites. Very well put together with a nice ringing pattern for UK conditions. I've had a few Continental's including some high end Yuki's and colmics and these are as good if not better. I bought one and quickly made it a pair.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I keep looking at the 14 foot version in my local tackle shop as I use 3 piece rods due to using public transport. The rods appear to be rung for FS but looking at the ring spacing look like they would work well with multiplyer which is what I use. Also how realistic is the casting weight rating ?Will the rod handle 7 oz ?. Sorry griff for hijacking your'e thread but I too am interested in these rods.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i use both a 525 mag and a tronixpro envoy mag reels so hope there fine for multi use .. if not il have to buy a surfblaster to pair it with

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Not too sure I like the coulor and the lack of grips either side of the reel seat. Suppose it would be easy enough to put some shrink tube there but if used for a mult the rod will need some sort of grips.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Fantastic rods. The equivalent of much more expensive rods. Enough power for 5-6oz yet still shows the tiniest of bites. Very well put together with a nice ringing pattern for UK conditions. I've had a few Continental's including some high end Yuki's and colmics and these are as good if not better. I bought one and quickly made it a pair.
really fancying one of these or a gravity surf how would you compare the 2 ?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I would choose the cobra over a sonik. The Sonik is light and we'll balanced but feels quite delicate and thin walled. The cobra is slimmer and steelier, thicker walls and with a better ringing pattern but slightly heavier. The cobra feels a bit less delicate and more suited to punishment. Don't go expecting both of these rods to belt 6-7 oz. They will cast them but if that's your thing then get a UK style beach rod.

Both good rods however, the cobra is extremely well finished, mine are anyway, excellent whippings, rings perfectly aligned, reel seat in the perfect position, everything sealed properly. The case is good but the bag is shocking. You don't buy a rod for the bag though!

Neither of these rods are multiplier rods, both for fixed spool imo

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Informative post Chukka, I was just looking for something with a stiffer tip than my Greys Triplex. I would think twice about putting 7 oz on that rod.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I would stick with your triplex if that's what your after, the cobra is a true continental but a powerful one at that. Sounds like you need a Century BB or similar.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I would stick with your triplex if that's what your after, the cobra is a true continental but a powerful one at that. Sounds like you need a Century BB or similar.
Thanks for the advice Chukka, Could really just do with a rod with a stiffer tip than the Triplex. There are times when I would like to up the lead to 7 oz but don't want to risk it on the Triplex. Ill wait for now and have a look round when ive got a bit of spare cash.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Saw a chap over on Redwick Gwent ledges using a multiplier on the Tronix Cobra GT 15ft. He had put a reel seat low down around 12" up from the bottom. With a simple overhead thump he was placing his bait well over 150+ yards with very little effort. I know the distance was correct as my pal is a 240 yard caster over grass, 150 with bait when fishing, and he was out casting him by quite a large margin. His multipliers were Shimano Speedmasters, it change my views on multipiece rods. Thinking of getting one myself. By the way this guy normally uses Zziples rods, he hasn't used them since getting theses Cobra's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts