World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am a beginner at all this; where exactly is the ballast bank at troon. my two sons are getting into fishing so would like to try out some places with them. We fished at troon harbour a couple of Sundays ago. Got moved away from stretch next to fish&chip shop so went further up to where logging area is. Caught 6 mackies at entrance to marina.

Also tried irvine harbour on Wednesday evening (in rain) just past the Big Idea as tide was coming in. Only caught a coalie spinning & also on feathers. Any reason as to why no mackies, or is this not a good spot?

Thanks - any advice on where best to fish would be helpful as my three youngsters are all keen on spinning etc!!

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
if you fished in the harbour then head for there again but just b4 you go into harbour there is a few small houses on left,go left and drive past the houses and this is the ballast bank

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
it can be pretty kelpy in bits but should be fine with float for wrasse

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fished at Troon for years until a few years ago when we were informed by authorities that fishing was no longer allowed on the harbour. caught my first cod off ballast bank about 30 years ago,lol havent caught many since either.

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
Fished at Troon for years until a few years ago when we were informed by authorities that fishing was no longer allowed on the harbour. caught my first cod off ballast bank about 30 years ago,lol havent caught many since either.
yep the harbour is out of bounds fishing wise now a days

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Have I missed something on this thread?
Has there been something removed as everything seems civil to me but maybe I am wrong:g:

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
Im glad they have been deleted, its a shame to taint someones post whoever/ whatever the reason we are all here to chat and learn :)

Cant say i have fished near troon but if you come down into D&G i know lots of good marks that you and your kids could try, the fishing is normally good

Welcome to the forums & tight lines! :fishing1:

Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used to fish from Troon before the ferry arrived and used to have many a good evening catching mackerel, herring, coalies and pollok from the end of the pier. I used to occasionally fish from the small pier opposite the main one which was good as well. Is that closed to fishing as well now?

Irvine was never any use for the mackerel although I can remember one weekend about 15 years ago where shoals of them came into the harbour but that was definitely a one off.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Used to love fishing troon. Floated mackeral for mackeral, great sport. It was the ferry comany that stopped the fishing form the pier. Loved to fish Oban pier, once again the ferry people spoiled that. Oh well, on a different note had a look down in Ayr when out with the misses on Saturday. High tide and no mackies. It looked perfect too !!!!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Guys,

please remember when pier fishing for mackerel that if the harbour is supplied by a river then the amount of fresh water coming down the river will have a direct affect on the amount of mackerel to be caught.

ie as has happened recently lots of rain, river in spate = very little mackerel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts