World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on a two day trout fishing match at a twenty acre lake... have never fished a match before..what tips have you..?

·
Registered
20,594 Posts
Going on a two day trout fishing match at a twenty acre lake... have never fished a match before..what tips have you..?
Where abouts.......?? It's fish the conditions usually....... I fish a team of buzzers to start with on a water I've never fished before......yellow owl being my go to....
Be prepared to fish with lures too as the fishery will most likely have stocked it up for you coming........picking off a few stockies can be a good start to get you on the board then onto the buzzers for the rest....

·
Registered
20,594 Posts
The majority of fish will be caught early on in my experience with it getting more difficult as it nears midday.......so fish hard in the morning....

·
Registered
18,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All done..six fish today..one about 12lb.. dropped another double about the same size later on..third place was won by a member of the scottish national team..he took over 90 fish over the two days.. I was about 45 th out of 54 competitors, but the owner of the fishery wouldn't disclose the full rankings because in his words " because I can't be arsed..".. what a knob.

·
Registered
18,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well done, at least not bottom of table nor a blank.

Did you pick up any tips for next time?
Lots..was fishing next to a member of the Scottish National team..he had two fish on at the same time about five times..and landed them..top tip is to fish a fly under a bung..but it’s probably not something that I will ever do.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I dare say a good tactical choice. The fishery was probably given a good freshen up with trout before the comp and these two flies were obviously very attractive to them.
I have a good few blobs in the box, no wotsits never have had.

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
Found this a bit late, in my experience newly stocked fish will nail orange/yellow fritz patterns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts