World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys sorry if this is the wrong place to post this,my 13yr old son wants to try the lliw reservoir for trout,the method they use on this water is fly or worm,he wants to know how to rig up a bubble float to fish at various depths and a bottom fishing rig set up thankyou guys

·
Registered
258 Posts
hi guys sorry if this is the wrong place to post this,my 13yr old son wants to try the lliw reservoir for trout,the method they use on this water is fly or worm,he wants to know how to rig up a bubble float to fish at various depths and a bottom fishing rig set up thankyou guys
oki here goes, thread the bubble float on your main line then get a float stop buy them oot the shop for bout a pound, once uve got the float stop on then u can tie ur cast on to the end of the main line, the float stop lets u put the bait in various depths in the water, great invention it saves u makin a longer cast in-stead all u have to do is move the float stop up or down.

bottom rig is dead easy, get a weight preferably a lead ball weight, thread it on ur main line and then tie ur swivel on to the end of ur main line, so it stops the ball weight from slippin off, then tie ur cast to ur swivel.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Ask your son to learn this really easy stop knot and then he can fish his bubble float at any depth.

Click here for the stop knot

An alternative way to fish his bubble as described above is put into picture form if you follow the next link.

Just substitute the float that you see for a bubble float.

Float set up

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ask your son to learn this really easy stop knot and then he can fish his bubble float at any depth.

Click here for the stop knot

An alternative way to fish his bubble as described above is put into picture form if you follow the next link.

Just substitute the float that you see for a bubble float.

Float set up
easyer wae a float stop if u ask me

·
Registered
85 Posts
its wit ever floats yer boat
True.

But it's also a skill/ability thing - far easier to use a fixed spool set up when learning/just getting in to fishing. I certainly started with bait when I was a lad. Far more fun and diverse fishing to be had with the fly.

It's also a social / community niche thing when the angler reaches over a certain age. A broad stereotype it may be, however next time you are on a loch, reservoir or fishery, take notice of generally how polite and approachable fly anglers are compared to generally how unapproachable the bait fishers are. And by that I mean loud, using foul language, radio playing, drinking alcohol etc.

And again I repeat this is a very broad generalisation. I dabble with the bait now and again too, I love watching a float.

I'm sure loads of fishers start with bait before moving on to the fly.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
easyer wae a float stop if u ask me
So you are saying that their is an easier way to tie a float stop knot?

Then post it and stop asking for advice?:bangin:

OOPs sorry it was your "Lingo" that I didn't comprehend.

Would you have prefered, "Ya wee fannybaws ah wis jist wantin a wee not tae tie fur ma wee wean.

·
Registered
258 Posts
So you are saying that their is an easier way to tie a float stop knot?

Then post it and stop asking for advice?:bangin:

OOPs sorry it was your "Lingo" that I didn't comprehend.

Would you have prefered, "Ya wee fannybaws ah wis jist wantin a wee not tae tie fur ma wee wean.
u are a dobber!! yer patters pish

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Aye it is but you understood it.:crazy::shutup:

·
Registered
536 Posts
I started off trout fishing life using bubble and fly and bubble and worm. The way i was shown to put the float on was to put the main line through one of the hoes in the bubble in a loop and then throught the opposite hole, this lets you slide the float up and down as required, a few swan shot (if required if fishing at depth) to take the worm / maggot down and you are set.

Also for bubble and fly you can have a train of flys before you get to the float or slide the float on and tie the flys on after the float obviously with no weights.

The bubble creates a good disturbance which can attract the fish when spun.

I even caught trout on dry flies just twitched using bubble and fly if there was no ripple, annoying when they rise at the float though !!!

Sorry for the vaguenes must be about 15 years since i used these methods as i started fly fishing when i was about eight and now prefer fly fishing.

Great fun watching a float but mostly now only watch a float in the sea for pollock.

Hope the boy gets right into fishing as it is an amazing way to spend the day or even a few hours.

Tight lines, sorry for the people who clogged your thread with off topic garbage.:eek:fftopic:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts