World Sea Fishing Forums banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Global Moderator
23,152 Posts
Yes they do Ben and shame on them. However just because we know that happens it doesn’t mean we should ignore what we also know happens. I’ve known lazy fishermen but typically they are individuals, however and I have witnessed it myself a number of foreign nationals aren’t they fish in groups and at times they fish commercially which is what I suspect we are seeing here.
Absolutely agree.

But saying it’s only foerigners, or immigrants, or people with funny voices needs challenging. Literally tonnes of litter is picked up from the local (ish) beaches to here (Bournemouth, Southbourne) every weekend, and these are predominately frequented by White Brits.

·
Premium Member
24,393 Posts
Absolutely agree.

But saying it’s only foerigners, or immigrants, or people with funny voices needs challenging. Literally tonnes of litter is picked up from the local (ish) beaches to here (Bournemouth, Southbourne) every weekend, and these are predominately frequented by White Brits.
I ‘think’ that’s a different issue to the topic here mate. It’s quite a specific report 👍

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
chinese etc wait up the top to buy then , then i presume they turn them into food in their restaurants.
thats what I heard anyway
How on earth can wheelie bins half filled with Mackerel and then dumped in to a car boot be saleable?. Have seen this happen whilst after the first load has been deposited they go back for more. And YES i have seen this with my own eyes on a hot day on the Admiralty pier in Dover.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
" The locals should form a posse and go down and confront these degenerates. Let the police and press know in advance, and I'm sure action would be taken. If nothing else it would let the culprits know the community's deep displeasure about what they are doing"

fish Sorel or St Caths after the mackerel have been through and its a disgusting mess. It is a fact over here the majority of the mess is left by people who are fishing for food or to sell to someone they know, rather than the apparent issue in the UK of selling to catering outlets.
At St Caths I have remonstrated and while it has never ended in threats of violence , the give away "foreign language" rant is explanatory from "some" Others, whether through realisation or shame have picked their crap up. Biggest issues are hooks that are either snapped /cut off and left on the walkways where kids and dogs are about.
The litter issue is Angling's biggest concern from my experience as its noticed by everyone, not just those who view angling negatively

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
Hopes Nose has been notorious for foreign gangs fishing it intensively for years now.
I used to go there a bit for a change but no chance these days, plenty of mackie closer to home.

Meanwhile at Chesil you have predominantly Asian groups camping there for days on end.
Now, I know they tend to have extended families so if all the fish gets parcelled out and used I have no issue.
But it also smacks of a commercial operation as last Friday they were being dropped off by minibuses in the car park.
Quite how that many mackerel can be properly kept and worth anything with days of camping, I have no idea. Unless the same minibuses pick it all up the next day.

Ironically the mackerel were pretty scarce last week so I rather doubt they caught much.

·
Registered
23,904 Posts
Hopes Nose has been notorious for foreign gangs fishing it intensively for years now.
I used to go there a bit for a change but no chance these days, plenty of mackie closer to home.

Meanwhile at Chesil you have predominantly Asian groups camping there for days on end.
Now, I know they tend to have extended families so if all the fish gets parcelled out and used I have no issue.
But it also smacks of a commercial operation as last Friday they were being dropped off by minibuses in the car park.
Quite how that many mackerel can be properly kept and worth anything with days of camping, I have no idea. Unless the same minibuses pick it all up the next day.

Ironically the mackerel were pretty scarce last week so I rather doubt they caught much.
We get \/ans filled with Asians throughout Wales a couple of times a month collecting razors. big operations with barrels of solution on trolleys and dozens of pickers. there needs to be some sort of limit set and then enforced but I won't hold my breath

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
We get \/ans filled with Asians throughout Wales a couple of times a month collecting razors. big operations with barrels of solution on trolleys and dozens of pickers. there needs to be some sort of limit set and then enforced but I won't hold my breath
Yes, they’re nothing if not efficient so I suspect the Chesil crowd has it all down to a tee.

Agreed, if it’s commercial it should be regulated.

·
Registered
25,005 Posts
If you report alleged illegal netting by unlicensed boats just say your sure you saw them catching salmon or sea trout, you might get them investigating then.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
" The locals should form a posse and go down and confront these degenerates. Let the police and press know in advance, and I'm sure action would be taken. If nothing else it would let the culprits know the community's deep displeasure about what they are doing"

fish Sorel or St Caths after the mackerel have been through and its a disgusting mess. It is a fact over here the majority of the mess is left by people who are fishing for food or to sell to someone they know, rather than the apparent issue in the UK of selling to catering outlets.
At St Caths I have remonstrated and while it has never ended in threats of violence , the give away "foreign language" rant is explanatory from "some" Others, whether through realisation or shame have picked their crap up. Biggest issues are hooks that are either snapped /cut off and left on the walkways where kids and dogs are about.
The litter issue is Angling's biggest concern from my experience as its noticed by everyone, not just those who view angling negatively

Well done for trying Graham. I rarely fish these spots as it pisses me off, and I don't like crowds. The trouble is that some people don't have a history here and therefore are not invested in the environment the same way a local might be. I do try St. Caths for mackerel, and constantly have to pick up mono and feather packets. Definitely takes the shine off the fishing a bit.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
The local authority could easily create a by-law that limits shore caught mackerel catches to 20 fish per angler per day and enforce it with heavy fines.
20 is plenty for locals to catch bait or have a family BBQ but not really enough to entice commercial gangs.

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
The local authority could easily create a by-law that limits shore caught mackerel catches to 20 fish per angler per day and enforce it with heavy fines.
20 is plenty for locals to catch bait or have a family BBQ but not really enough to entice commercial gangs.
:(A nice thought but not practicable. 20 FISH PER ANGLER. He brings wife and 5 kids, that's a 140 makeral per day, far too many.:(

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,505 Posts
Whoever it is will undoubtedly find a way around the stated rules.

Don't they always...

Reactions: Mr Fish

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
Optimistic. You’d need severe enforcement ie police down there, to make they stick, not just one or two council enforcement officers.
Who has those sort of resources these days?

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Optimistic. You’d need severe enforcement ie police down there, to make they stick, not just one or two council enforcement officers.
Who has those sort of resources these days?
Americans don't seem to have any difficulties supplying fish and game officers with powers to enforce.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts