World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Have seen these hitting the shops.anyone got one??

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Sadly no although am interested like you. they are a whack of cash, but, do have a lifetime guarantee, sure someone has one and will report soon.

·
Registered
528 Posts
when I was into mountain biking in the 90ies we had a lot of components crafted with pride in the USandA

shiny colours, funky cnc jobs but eventually none of them worked near as well as their shimano counterparts retailing at a fraction of the price of this overhyped B$ from the states.

i would not be surprised if the same was true for those reels.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Just did a quick internet search for 'release reels' and it turns out that truth are the new company name. Why change it? Pretty sure snowbee are still snowbee, okuma are still okuma and accurate are still accurate? What's going on there? I declare shenanigans. Couldn't exactly have built up a world beating reputation as release could they? Saltist it is then guys ;)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Release was the name of a fighting chair company. So it was changed before legal started

·
Registered
9,089 Posts
when I was into mountain biking in the 90ies we had a lot of components crafted with pride in the USandA

shiny colours, funky cnc jobs but eventually none of them worked near as well as their shimano counterparts retailing at a fraction of the price of this overhyped B$ from the states.

Take some beating Shimano and Campagnolo chainsets as forged not CNC'D
Yes remember the CNC craze like it was a cure for all and only as good as the QC'er at Capstan wheel as if not mic'ing up for run out no better than a real cheapo set

mind did have some nice frames from over there still have my Spez Epic marathon and orig stumpy comp last jap built frame raced that for years.
Have the GT Zaskar LE hand built over there.

but many companies came(Jumped on band wagon) and left(Fell of the band wagon?)lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
very nice reels- like any thing made in the UK very agricultural in design and build , they are a fishing reel in my book , they can cast in the right hands but to heavy and bulky for torno casting also parts to up grade-up spec to make them really sign could be an issue .

Yes the original name was Release reels- was changed due to copyright , not to sure about the name Truth ..... another reel to watch out for is IRT

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Oh ok. We did have a release reel dealer in Portsmouth for a while. Pretty sure he's got the sticker on his door still. Never actually seen a reel mind?

G

·
I tested a "Release Reels SM" last year and had it for a couple of months, findings are as follows:

Pros
  • The reel is magged and casts ok.
  • Aesthetically it looks different to anything else on the market. Understated and sleek.
  • It feels powerful in the sense if a big fish was on it wouldn't break into a thousand bits.
  • The cage design is very low to the rod, it all feels quite compact.

Cons
  • I don't think from memory that the bearings are sealed.
  • The mag switch control had the potential to move easily, therefore not keeping it as you set it and there was no way without marking the casing to tell exactly how you set it before.
  • The handle could be bigger and retrieve increased.
  • I don't know whether it was just the reel seat I was using but when mounting it to the reel it didn't sit perfectly tightly in the seat like a normal multi would, with coasters it would have though.

All in all, I am pleased to see american made reels coming to the UK market and give us more options, I am also pleased to see new companies popping up with new innovative products, but this reel probably needs quite a few tweaks and modifications to get it to where it needs to be for shore fishing here, it all felt a bit agricultural. It's a long way off the quality of a Saltist 20, but I don't know what the Truth reel will retail at here so that may not be a fair comparison.

Release Reels was rebranded to Truth Reels, I think as a marketing or maybe a copywrite thing, not because they were hiding anything from the past, I think they needed a relaunch, no conspiracy there.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Thats right gerrys sells them but i think they have to order them in.they look good and at £350 roughly they are not cheap.!!i had a look at getting one and after a resent article in the mags im sure there will b a lot of interest.i had a look myself but got the penn trq 25 instead.i will look forward to see how the reviews go, but i would imagine that there position in the market maybe be not for everyone as they look like they are for big fish rough ground etc and this may limit there sales rather than them being a every day reel if u like they seem more suitable for rough ground and big fish but to b fare thats right up my street.may be i will start saving my pocket money.lol

·
Registered
684 Posts
I got the Truth SM recently, think I paid £260, I believe the RRP is £350ish. Took it for a fish last weekend on the east coast of Scotland. I fished it straight out the thick canvas bag/no box with this one.

I stuck 100lb braid on it and went to the beach. It takes as much line as my Saltist 30H, maybe a bit more as there is no cage to get in the way.

• Very small/slim reel feet - As said the reel feet are small ( they are part of the reel body, not bolted on as on other reels like the Daiwa Saltist 30H. They did move in the rod reel seat. A couple of wraps of electrical tape sorted that, glad I checked that before I got to the beach.
  • Its remarkably small, perhaps because it has no cage what so ever, so an 8yr old could get their thumb round it.
  • Sits very low in the reel seat for casting
  • Casting - even with the Mags full on, the reel is still very fast. If im honest I'd like to have been able to slow it down more, certainly until Id got a good few casts under my belt.
  • Feels very smooth when cranking, I like the round metal handle, sits nice in the hand
  • Gearing is huge. Bigger than the Saltist 30H/Penn 525 M2/Penn TRQ100 I have.
  • Looks - very understated in black, each one is numbered.
  • Build - This reel is very solidly built with very few small screws to get lost or nooks & crannies get salt/dirt stuck in. You can definitely tell its made by an engineer who likes his fishing.
More fishing time will tell if I keep it as my go to reel or not.

If anyone is local & wants a cast with it let me know.

Cheers
S

Reactions: bigaal

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I got the Truth SM recently, think I paid £260, I believe the RRP is £350ish. Took it for a fish last weekend on the east coast of Scotland. I fished it straight out the thick canvas bag/no box with this one.

I stuck 100lb braid on it and went to the beach. It takes as much line as my Saltist 30H, maybe a bit more as there is no cage to get in the way.

• Very small/slim reel feet - As said the reel feet are small ( they are part of the reel body, not bolted on as on other reels like the Daiwa Saltist 30H. They did move in the rod reel seat. A couple of wraps of electrical tape sorted that, glad I checked that before I got to the beach.
  • Its remarkably small, perhaps because it has no cage what so ever, so an 8yr old could get their thumb round it.
  • Sits very low in the reel seat for casting
  • Casting - even with the Mags full on, the reel is still very fast. If im honest I'd like to have been able to slow it down more, certainly until Id got a good few casts under my belt.
  • Feels very smooth when cranking, I like the round metal handle, sits nice in the hand
  • Gearing is huge. Bigger than the Saltist 30H/Penn 525 M2/Penn TRQ100 I have.
  • Looks - very understated in black, each one is numbered.
  • Build - This reel is very solidly built with very few small screws to get lost or nooks & crannies get salt/dirt stuck in. You can definitely tell its made by an engineer who likes his fishing.
More fishing time will tell if I keep it as my go to reel or not.

If anyone is local & wants a cast with it let me know.

Cheers
S
£260 thats a good deal did u get it in America.?I'll have two please.lol nice review that helps thanks for that
How do u think it compares in cast/distance to say 525 or saltist 30 or do u need a few more shots to find out.cheers ken

·
Registered
684 Posts
Got it here in the UK fella. Two!!?, my wallets still hurting from forking out for 1. With the £ strong, getting it from the states is worth looking into.

Reel isn't that heavy, but is definitely one for big fish and/or rough ground.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Got it here in the UK fella. Two!!?, my wallets still hurting from forking out for 1. With the £ strong, getting it from the states is worth looking into.

Reel isn't that heavy, but is definitely one for big fish and/or rough ground.
Super thanks for that man.!!cheers thats just what i wanted to know.rough ground big fish reel.!!awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts