World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well used it before but mainly for pike and carp, stooped using it as i lost to many lightly hook fish even when coming from a 3lb tc rod to a 2 1/4 tc rod, any way used it before boat fishing when the stuff came out but couldnt get on with it to be honest, lost a few fish, plus a few tabgles and then the final straw was a deep seated birds nest so had to scrap the whole lot in the end.

any way dad brough me some back from paddy land so ive loaded it onto my 7000LD and we will see how i get on tomoz of orford, so watch this space.

i know the advatages of the stuff but alot of peeps dont the disadvantages like you have to check the whole length for nics every so often because it will snap as quick as you can look at it if you anit carefull.

T

·
0 Posts
Are you downtiding or uptiding / boatcasting with it?

Braid has been a revelation for downtiding and is absolutely fine so long as you use a rod that has a bit of give in it and a short length (couple of rod lengths) of mono as a buffer.

You won't be very welcome on too many charter boats (downtiding or wreck drifting) if you weren't using braid nowdays.

Uptiding and the principals behind it are very different. Some like to use braid, but in general you may find that more anglers find mono is a better option.
As you have the 7000LD I guess you are downtiding?

Tom

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
well used it before but mainly for pike and carp, stooped using it as i lost to many lightly hook fish even when coming from a 3lb tc rod to a 2 1/4 tc rod, any way used it before boat fishing when the stuff came out but couldnt get on with it to be honest, lost a few fish, plus a few tabgles and then the final straw was a deep seated birds nest so had to scrap the whole lot in the end.

any way dad brough me some back from paddy land so ive loaded it onto my 7000LD and we will see how i get on tomoz of orford, so watch this space.

i know the advatages of the stuff but alot of peeps dont the disadvantages like you have to check the whole length for nics every so often because it will snap as quick as you can look at it if you anit carefull.
Probably won't apply to you mate as i dare say your rods are better than my cheapie ones, but last time i used braid i had to replace my tip eyes in no time as they had grooved really bad, i would only use it again for lightish lures.

AL ..

T

·
0 Posts
Good point Al.
Cheap rings on cheap rods will get cut to pieces in no time by braid.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Braid is completely unforgiving of chipped or cracked rings - that explains many braid breakages. A trick here is to use a cotton bud on a dry rod, and run it round the inside of each ring. A crack or chip will show because it will trap the cotton hairs. Unfortunately many cheap rods have cheap rings that chip and crack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts