World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a mate got this for inshore fun a while back and although its been used
on Scottish lochs trolling for pike we,d like to use it around Poole harbour.

My question really relates to its origins as the piccies show it to have a keel,so I was advised
it may have been a small sailing type boat before being used for fishing...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its 12 x 6 and has a 15hp outboard but we considered ungrading to a 25hp
should the weather conditions turn against us we can get in sharpish like.....

all that said,if you think the boat size or keel would not make it suitable to increase the engine size
we,ll stay as is and enjoy it for what it is and just upgrade to a bigger boat/engine in the future.

cheers for any suggestions

Gazza

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
That looks a nice little inshore boat. The keel is too small to be a sailing boat so it would probably have had a lifting centreboard if it was built for sailing. The bow entry and flat stern profile makes it look semi displacement, and the keel will give it lateral stability. 15HP on a 12 foot displacement boat is plenty, I doubt the transom is rated for 25HP so you would be in danger of ripping the transom off if you tried putting a lot of power on it. I had a 12 foot boat like that and it was fine for calm days and up to a mile off shore as long as you have all the usual safety equipment. I wouldn't fish more than two up, but with care you would be fine in a harbour like Poole, estuaries and sheltered bays and along the Solent shores.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
simple advice,cheers,id had similar answers from the guys on Poole small boats forum but thought id just ask in here too and it confirms where were at with this size boat.
so yes,trips out of Keyhaven and Lymington inshore and in Poole harbour will be good to try once weve
got all the necessary safety kit.
were off to Buaulieu boat jumble at the weekend to see if we can pick up a few minor essentials
to get us afloat ASAP....well after the VHF course etc....!!!!!!!

cheers

Gazza

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
simple advice,cheers,id had similar answers from the guys on Poole small boats forum but thought id just ask in here too and it confirms where were at with this size boat.
so yes,trips out of Keyhaven and Lymington inshore and in Poole harbour will be good to try once weve
got all the necessary safety kit.
were off to Buaulieu boat jumble at the weekend to see if we can pick up a few minor essentials
to get us afloat ASAP....well after the VHF course etc....!!!!!!!

cheers

Gazza
Go carefully at a boat jumble with safety gear - something like an anchor should be fine - lifejackets need a 24 hour inflation test and cylinders need weighing, so even if the firing mechanism and cylinders appear OK, you can't tell. Most safety gear is best bought new - I remember seeing a guy marching off from a stall happy as Larry with a solid full circle lifering, not realising it was about as useful as a handbrake would have been for his boat.

To draw up a list of what you need, you can invite the RNLI to visit the boat for an 'Advice Onboard' session, and they will run through what you need, how to use it, how to maintain lifejackets etc, taking into account the size and type of boat and local conditions/hazards: Advice Onboard from the RNLI - click the 'Book a session' button towards the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yer,we didn't end up going to beaulieu boat jumble today,but I've spoken to the RNLI fella at Lymington harbour and he's going to do just that for our boat.

Cheers

Gazza

1 - 6 of 6 Posts