World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flew out to Cyprus on the 2nd July, I had previously looked on the Europe section of the forum to see if there was any fishing worth trying while here.
There was a lot of negative posts, but one I found gave me some hope.
Colin Barden runs the "Evening Star" out of Paphos harbour.
An Interceptor 42 powered by a meaty cummings 650Hp filled to the brim with all the navigation and fish finding equipment you could imagine.
I contacted Colin while still in the UK and was booked to go out twice during my stay.

The boat on it's mooring flanked by two of the "Other fishing boats"

It's tight getting out of Paphos harbour.

Colin runs the Tuna trips from 4.00pm to 9.30pm as this is the most productive time.
We edged out of Paphos around 4.30pm once all the crew had arrived, the cummings was opened up and we were heading out at around twenty knotts.
Once clear of the harbour the water changed colour to a fantastic azure blue clear as gin.
At about five miles off preperations for fishing started, out came the gear, not tatty old rods like you find on some boats, but very tidy gear up to the task, Trolling rods with chunky Fladden 30T reels. The outriggers were lowered and locked.
Once at the grounds six rods were rigged with a variety of lures, and differing weights so that more water was covered, the boat slowed to six knotts and the lures were deployed to differing distances from the boat, two on the outriggers and four across the stern.

Expectantly waiting for the first take.

It did not take long for the first fish to hit a lure,

Soon after the first fish was being brought in by Costas and Chris.

The fish then kept comming, Annie getting in on the action.

Youngster Josh Getting in on the action(With some help from his dad) A second fish on in the back ground with Chris looking on.

Everybody who was fishing caught fish, we went round twice taking it in turns landing the fish.

Me with a Tuna.

Pictures of the catch.

We finished the day with nine tuna, one lost at the boat, and two takes that did not turn into fish.
The trips I went on were made up of holidaymakers, Colin would love some parties of anglers to go to Cyprus so he could fully exploit the fishing available there and put Paphos on the angling map, not all types of fishing can be tackled by novices.

There is Shark fishing, the Tuna, Dorado,Barracuda, Norway Haddock, and lots more. This is Colin's website http://www.charterfishingcyprus.com

We are already looking at booking a week next year to give it a go, if you like the thought of fishing in great weather with a skipper that tries to catch fish for his customers you will not go wrong with Colin and his crew!!!!

Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
43 Posts
sounds like not a bad couple of hours. I fished on this boat in September 2008 on a morning trip but we didn't even have one take which kind of had mixed emotions among all aboard considering the 60 euro fee for 4 hours but hey i guess that's fishing! I'll give the guy his due though the boat is a cracker.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How much did he charge for your trip Gary?Checked the website but no mention of prices."may"be going out there later on in the year

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much did he charge for your trip Gary?Checked the website but no mention of prices."may"be going out there later on in the year
Hi,
I booked direct with Colin via e-mail from the UK.
Cost was €50 (Approx £42.00) he has got a booking booth on the harbour, don't know how much through there, try e-mailing via the link on the web site.

Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gary - I have been debating going back to Cyprus and this has just tipped the balance! Great report and most helpful!
Hi Peter,
You will have to change the way you go about fishing.
No getting up at silly o'clock driving miles to grab a quick breakfast, kit up drag the gear to the boat, then go.

Paphos.
Have breakfast in the hotel, get changed for the beach, have a swim, lay on the sun loungers for a while, have a beer at the bar.
Jump on the bus to the harbour, have a proper lunch in "Theo's" about 30 yards from the boat, then get on board around 4pm.
Most civilised

Forgot to mention, the boat has water and beer on ice for anyone that wants one!

Gary

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
hi peter,
you will have to change the way you go about fishing.
No getting up at silly o'clock driving miles to grab a quick breakfast, kit up drag the gear to the boat, then go.

Paphos.
Have breakfast in the hotel, get changed for the beach, have a swim, lay on the sun loungers for a while, have a beer at the bar.
Jump on the bus to the harbour, have a proper lunch in "theo's" about 30 yards from the boat, then get on board around 4pm.
Most civilised

forgot to mention, the boat has water and beer on ice for anyone that wants one!

Gary
wot no sausage rolls??

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts