World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can anyone confirm what species of tuna these two are please. Caught in the Med off the Almeria coast of Andalucia. I guess they averaged a pound in weight each so juveniles.
Thanks, John.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
The one on the right is a Melva. A lot up here at the moment.

On the left is more difficult because of the light, but it looks like a Estornino. (i think they call it Chup? mackerel in English??)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Captain, that's what I had for that one, Melva or Tunny Tuna I think they are sometimes called. But its the one with vertical stripes I'm stuck on. I don't think its a mackerel other than being that family and have it down as a tuna of some sorts.

Maybe being an immature fish has something to do with the stripes and it has been suggested it is a baby blue fin, I don't think so.

Thanks again for the suggestions, John.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
If you have any suspicion that you have an "Atún Rojo" Make sure you return it immediately unharmed. Sure you know that anyway.

Still think its an Estornino. Try google images, although there is also a bird with that name!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hi

FWIW and I am no expert, but I have caught several types of mackerel/tuna both in the atlantic and pacific, it is not easy to id some of these fish especially as some of the names and appearance is so similar.

But from Fishes of the Sea - The North Atlantic and Mediterranean
J and G Lythgoe, I would say that the fish on the right is a Frigate or Bullet mackerel. - 'Widely spaced dorsal fins and mackerel like markings behind first dorsal and above lateral line, it is found in the Med. The Bonito or little tunny has close together dorsal fins.

The fish on the left is not I think a chub mackerel or estornino, of which a couple have recently been landed up this way, these are exactly like ordinary mackerel but instead of stripes on the back they have spots and a golden band running the lenghth of the body. The one pictured is far too chunky and seems to be a 'real' tuna

Mike

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I have not much idea with the English names so we could be talking the same fish.:doh:
Loads of llampuga here at the moment. Dorado or Dolphin fish?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Hi all

From my experience of catching quite a fair few tuna in a few different oceans:

The one on the right seems to me a standard bonito, or bonny.

And the one of the left seems likely to be a juvenile albacore.

Faded vertical lines appear on some (types of) tuna when their colour fades after dying.

PS: I wouldn't bother eating either really, poor quality and taste vs yellowfin, but both good livebait for something bigger. :fishing:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not much idea with the English names so we could be talking the same fish.:doh:
Loads of llampuga here at the moment. Dorado or Dolphin fish?
MMMmm or Mahi Mahi. John.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi and thanks again, here is a better photo of the one on the left with stripes. John.

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And the one of the left seems likely to be a juvenile albacore.
Thanks but unless they grow later in life the Albacore has an elongated pectoral fin, this one hasn't, John.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Ok, I'd say they are both mackerel then; and I agree with Oldnipper then: Bullet mackerel (right) and chubb mackerel (left)

I didn't realise they were that tiny!!! (even though I now see you did say they were under 1lb, apologies.)

The patterning on the bonito and the bullet mackerel are very close, but size and fins and fin placements differ, as has been said.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.