World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
next week i've booked turbot and brill trip. can you eat them? how do the taste like - like other flat fish? whats the best way of cooking them?

thanks

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Very good indeed - well turbot are, and I have been told that brill are almost as good. I like to cook them whole but it depends how big a fish you may catch. A five-pounder will fit inside a Baby Belling oven - just. Wrapped in foil with a little white wine to protect against dehydration and bake until done - careful not to overcook - and just plonk it in the middle of the table and let people pick at it!

Another method I want to try is - for eating on my own so portions will be frozen when I next catch a decent one, whenever that is LOL! - is to cut one into steaks. They should bake/poach nicely I reckon. One more thing - well-flavoured fish like turbot or bass don't deserve having sauce dumped all over them - save that for the whiting and codling.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
next week i've booked turbot and brill trip. can you eat them? how do the taste like - like other flat fish? whats the best way of cooking them?

thanks
They're poisonous.

Send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you

·
Registered
363 Posts
They're poisonous.

Send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you
TOO TRUE,il take theood portionm for you,purely for medicinal purposes of course............

mate turbot is the king o fish,and brill a worthy competitor to the crown too.cut them into trancons..or steaks across the bone,then again into half,that will give you a good portion from a decent size fish,also always cook on bone as it retains moisture,doesnt srink and will taste much better,season the skin and put into a hot pan skin down for 2 or 3 mins,turn over,add butter,baste the fish a litte to colour nice and transfer too oven for around 8 to ten mins for a 2oog portion.wilt some spinach while this is happening place into a center of a plate,add more butter to the pan,heat until just turning brown,chuck in some brown shrimps a good lot of finely chopped parsley,a good squeese of lemon.place fish on top of spinach spoon over butter and my god enjoy......£28 pound for the pleasure.
it is in my restaraunt anyway...
muscadet would be my choice too.
tight lines.L

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.