World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Team Jedi
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went downt to scotstown beach for the first time last night with Thornback and Action Jackson,fished for about5 hours of the flood,nice night with a wee bit rain at the start,I managed 5 Flounder,3 Turbot biggest 1lb 3oz,2 small plaice and a Dab,Jackson had 1 plaice,1 dab and 2 Flounder,Thornback had one wee Plaice,But a good night and good craic :notworthy:clap finished at about half 10 then paul headed off to PD to thr Albert pier for a conger.

·
Hardcore Poster
1,575 Posts
Nice one Blindog - well done

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nice report wee man well done.
Neal
The skink

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
thanks for the company fellas got a strap about 3 this morning or should i say shoelace but a fish is a fish:unsure:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
well done guys:clap3: , good to get a few of the target species :clap2:, spent 3 hours on sat getting peelers an worm for today for a session on the flatties...guess what no flatties :g:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Signs like the perfect night out.
Well done guys, gonna have to give Scotstown Beach a bash some day and add Turbot to my species list.

·
Team Jedi
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most were pretty small up to aboot 6-8oz and one turbot that we did bother weighing 1LB 3oz,Bait was Rag, Lug,mackerel,Mussel,Cockles and Peelers.Lug and Mackie being the top bait.
There is a nice rocky looking area at the East end oh the beach that looks as if it wid be worth a try anybody got any info on it !!Looks real fishy .
But loads oh seals :(

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Must get back there to try and bag me a plaice - never had a plaice there last year. Did get one suspiciously plaice-looking flounder on a trip with Thornback a few weeks ago though, spots all over even on its flukes - is there an easy way to tell?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Must get back there to try and bag me a plaice - never had a plaice there last year. Did get one suspiciously plaice-looking flounder on a trip with Thornback a few weeks ago though, spots all over even on its flukes - is there an easy way to tell?
If you are unsure whether you have a flounder or a plaice, the simple way to differentiate is by feel. Run your index finger on the top,( coloured) side, tail to head along the lateral line or along the fin margins, on the flounder you will feel the rows of spines. The plaice is smooth in these regions but has a row of horny knobs which lie between the eyes and the start of the lateral line. After a wee bit practice you can via this method even on pitch black night.

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Cheers dabhand, I will give it a go next time I get one that looks suspect.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Most were pretty small up to aboot 6-8oz and one turbot that we did bother weighing 1LB 3oz,Bait was Rag, Lug,mackerel,Mussel,Cockles and Peelers.Lug and Mackie being the top bait.
There is a nice rocky looking area at the East end oh the beach that looks as if it wid be worth a try anybody got any info on it !!Looks real fishy .
But loads oh seals :(
There are 2 rocky outcrops Scotstown head to the north and kirkton head to the south. I have fished scotstown head over low water as far out as you can go. It is a mixture of sand and rocky outcrops and submerged rocks all I have had there is flounder and dabs no turbot for some reason but there are a few seals that lay about on the rocks that you have to look out for

·
Registered
154 Posts
There are 2 rocky outcrops Scotstown head to the north and kirkton head to the south. I have fished scotstown head over low water as far out as you can go. It is a mixture of sand and rocky outcrops and submerged rocks all I have had there is flounder and dabs no turbot for some reason but there are a few seals that lay about on the rocks that you have to look out for
I think you are on the wrong beach Millser. The beach I think they were fishing on was Scotstoun, which is down from St. Fergus (and where I spent my whole childhood :) no mention of Turbot , then)
The beach you are talking about is what you call the Kirkton Beach, or past the Pirates Cemetery. The Pirates Cemetery beach is accessed by going down the "North Kirkton" road to the end (North of the cemetry) and walking through the gap in the dunes. this beach is where the larger Turbots are found.
It is my intention to take Scooby ( my boat) out there to see if larger Turbot lie back off the beack and near the mixed ground where larger stocks of food may be. I was told today that the area is a nursery for Turbot and that the big ones just go miles out to sea, so it will be an interesting experiment.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think you are on the wrong beach Millser. The beach I think they were fishing on was Scotstoun, which is down from St. Fergus (and where I spent my whole childhood :) no mention of Turbot , then)
The beach you are talking about is what you call the Kirkton Beach, or past the Pirates Cemetery. The Pirates Cemetery beach is accessed by going down the "North Kirkton" road to the end (North of the cemetry) and walking through the gap in the dunes. this beach is where the larger Turbots are found.
It is my intention to take Scooby ( my boat) out there to see if larger Turbot lie back off the beack and near the mixed ground where larger stocks of food may be. I was told today that the area is a nursery for Turbot and that the big ones just go miles out to sea, so it will be an interesting experiment.
Yes you are right kirkton beach lies between scotstown head and kirkton head and to the north is scotstown beach itself leading to rattray head perhaps those were the rocks blindog was talking about, have fished there too with not much success though at the southern edge of the rattray rocks may be worth a go where there is more of a tide rip. I have never tried the beach between kirkton head and craigewen rocks near the mouth of the ugie yet but must be worth a go sometime.

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
TBH there is a tendancy for us all to call the Pirates graveyard "Scotstown" or "Scotstoun" from time to time - I prefer it to the actual Scotstoun beach part - much quieter and less dogs etc.

Millser and I tried Rattray one night last year with very little success despite there being rocks and many worm casts at low tide.

I did wonder whether the rocks would hold the bigger turbot but would imagine the seals would be an obstacle.

·
Team Jedi
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thats the one we fished,threw the gap in the dunes and on to the beach the rocks are actually at the west end not the east as i said :uhuh:
Cracking beach all the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts