World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hot on the tails of plaice request does anyone no about shore turbot on warkworth beach or other locations when they arrive are they worth targeting etc.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
dont know about warkworth but they have been getting a few small ones in hartlepool for a couple of months. fish baits will be best for them

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
They've been caught to almost 3lb this winter at Warkworth !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So do u think they are present all year but not targeted? I know you can get them off both cambois and druridge beaches too, what about further south at roker etc. anyone heard of them coming off there? Or have they just not been fished for.
I have a yearning to catch more flat fish this year and vary my fishing techniques so I am just exploring the possibilities other than flounders in the river. Any other suggestions welcome

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
dabs... off roker
plaice.. off sheilds

there is the odd turbut off roker but they are usually tirning up off beaches. the bigger ones like deep water

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm no expert on Turbot myself but have caught them from Warkworth and Druridge Bay whilst I was actually angling for them- which is no mean feat...fish baits as Bill says are the kiddie for these fellows and they half bury themselves and wait in ambush for the prey to come along so plenty of pulls,plucks and twitching your bait nearer the shore should see you pick up one or two fish,turbot give a good pull as they pounce onto a fishy morsel and are strong fighters for there size-mainly we as anglers target them with massively powerful rods but I caught anumber of these beauties on carp gear last year and it was fantastic-scale down your gear and try using a drilled bullet straight thru onto a swivel with your snood below that, dragging the bullet gives plumes of sand rising from the sea bed and I'm sure the fish check out this movement -fresh macky/sandeel is good-I sometimes dip the bait in fish oils for more scent...hope this helps...sixo

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm no expert on Turbot myself but have caught them from Warkworth and Druridge Bay whilst I was actually angling for them- which is no mean feat...fish baits as Bill says are the kiddie for these fellows and they half bury themselves and wait in ambush for the prey to come along so plenty of pulls,plucks and twitching your bait nearer the shore should see you pick up one or two fish,turbot give a good pull as they pounce onto a fishy morsel and are strong fighters for there size-mainly we as anglers target them with massively powerful rods but I caught anumber of these beauties on carp gear last year and it was fantastic-scale down your gear and try using a drilled bullet straight thru onto a swivel with your snood below that, dragging the bullet gives plumes of sand rising from the sea bed and I'm sure the fish check out this movement -fresh macky/sandeel is good-I sometimes dip the bait in fish oils for more scent...hope this helps...sixo
Some great tips there from Sixo, follow those and you shouldn't go wrong.
The only one I ever caught was on the day that I decided to target them. I was using the same rigs that I would use for plaice sparkly with beads/sequins above my hooks and rag tipped with mackeral for bait.
Caught on Cambois beach next to the Vald burn factory, during daylight. I must have a go again this weekend some time.:)

·
Registered
637 Posts
ive only ever caught one around a pound, it wasnt targeted i was after bass and fishing really shallow water in daylight with light tackle, size 2/o hooks aswell baited with rag, a suprise catch a hell of a scrap a could have swore it was a bass, it would be nice to get a bigger one. ive also seen one in the shallows whilst wading in th same area on seaton beach, they are easily recognisable. on both occasions ive encounted them one was early morning the other was last light

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a best time of the year or just generally when the traditional winter fish have disappeared people are targeting different species so the turn up more. I used to catch them when i was younger in beadnel bay using sand eel and light bass gear. Im also going back to ireland for a holiday this june and have caught alot from their beaches in the past around the dingle area, so i will be targeting them again this june. But again any information on location and tactics is well worth sharing. I always think any moving bait scores well for any flattie with a longish trace

·
Registered
306 Posts
I usually just concentrate on them in say June-July-Aug when the waters warmish and clear but you never know.give it ago.
I've got a push net and using it on the beaches for shrimps/prawns I can come up with plenty small Turbot during these sessions-nowt worth eating-but good to see what's on the shoreline and a canny way to get your tea...sixo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts