World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we decided to try somewhere new so we ended up at Tutt Head. Quiet sesh but we had a couple of fish,i caught a conger about 5lb+a shore rockling dutchy+rogere blanked but both dropped a couple of nice fish. We also had a few small spiky fish on the floats.I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me the best tides for this mark or a better alternative on the gower because i think its worth another go.

WICK
I decided to go last minute on my own because it was blowing a bit,had the ledge to myself so fished 2 rods 1 rod with crab on a pulley straight out and 1rod with double sandeel+squid to the right on a long+low.Had 1 bite on the crab on the ebb pulled line off the reel twice then let go,nothing for an hour then last 3 casts in the space of 30mins i had a baby tope then a small eyed about 8lb and then a small eyed about 4lb all on the sandeel. Then i had to rush of the ledge because the water was flooding behind me quite quick.

p.s. any info on tutt head would be much appreciated cheers lads.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hey sounds like a nice little session there at wick.
Tutt Head is a bit of an odd venue - potentially the ground should be very productive but it doesnt get fished as much as it maybe deserves. Of course people go there from time to time for mackerel which are often plentiful over the high tide along with small pollack / bass / wrasse to floatfished baits.
The wrasse tend to be of a small size as with much of the gower marks unfortunately.... infact the pollack dont really exceed 3lb either for some reason?!

But, this area has in the past and probably will again throw up the odd surprise. When my dad was my age he caught an anglerfish - not a big one btw by casting into a tight sand gulley at this mark. There are always congers here but nobody seems to actually target them - it could hold some very godo fish and possibly when the whiting shoals come in would be a good time to try and pull out a better fish?
The bass fishing 'can' be good - some doubles have come from this mark but they are few and far between. Try whole squid in the autumn for chances of a biggie.
Then into winter they get some codling from here and loads of whiting and dogs. Dabs if you can find the small sand patches. Generally rough ground throughout.....

As I said - I wouldnt mind betting this venue is actually pretty good but it just doesnt get fished much by specimen hunters (or they keep quiet :marinheir )
Bet a ray or two may come from here and more than likely the black bream would make a show.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the reply juanpablo,tell me though is it worth a go on low water or should i stick to fishing it over high

·
Registered
386 Posts
cant see any reason why low tide wouldnt fish well - this is a deep mark. For the eels I guess a neap tide at night. For the bass would prefer a bit more run of tide so go for a bigger tide and fish the flood.
BTW - wherever there are eels you will normally get the odd bullhuss aswell.

Just one word of caution - the same being true of many gower rock marks - be very cautious at all times but especially so on a big spring - quite often get dangerous swells here and there are some nasty tide rips in the area...
I would avoid in south westerlies and probably westerlies also if the wind is sufficient. Dont fish it alone at night!

Depending on what you want to fish and what tactics I guess for the ideal tide....
If you want to spin / plug then target a rising tide which coincides with morning or evening (really the same as anywhere!)
If you want a chance of a decent bass perhaps a low water or high water spring at night with a big crab or squid bait
If you want the eels then a neap tide at slack water +1/-1hr with mackerel flapper or BIG squid bait. The bullhuss will also take such a bait.

VERY rough ground in general so dont fish light if ledgering. Im no expert on this mark - have only fished it twice myself but it looks full of potential - just needs to be targetted by the right angler with some effort and hours put in!
How about an autumn forum meet on the rocks. All nighter targetting either bass or conger!!! I will be there!! :fishing:

·
Registered
415 Posts
cheers for the reply juanpablo,tell me though is it worth a go on low water or should i stick to fishing it over high
I would say that you should only fish this (or any other mark really) when the LOVELY LISA lets you LOL:yeah::yeah::yeah::thumbs:

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes fishamaniac i agree with you. have not heard from from dirty dogfish for a while . cant be catching otherwise we would all know about it ha,ha

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
[will have a bash for the congers at some point

1 - 13 of 13 Posts