World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Would I be right in thinking this ?
....whilst fishing over rocks, last year my son lost a fish which basically twisted the trace up to about half its size, eventually the hook snood parted company with 60lb trace, does that sound like a conger ? also the bite was nothing extraordinary, I do not recall it being similar to the dogs and huss takes.
We thought we saw something eel like, but, we had been catching dogs and huss which in the low light conditions can look similar.
We were using large sandeels.

FishermanFigg

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like a conger to me they spin like hell to get away

Cheers Rich

I was looking at the shore pulley rig set up for congers, its totally different from any of the fishing I normally do.... well to be honest it looks a bit like over kill ?
Do you have any tips.

FishermanFigg

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Its deffo a conger mate,the rigs may seem overkill but when you hook a 20lb+ eel you will be glad you did use it:) most conger bites are quite gentle (till you hit them lol)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Smaller congers do tend to snatch at the bait though while the bigger ones are very gentle.

I had a slack line bite off one once and it turned out to be a conger of about 14lb, gave one hell of a fight, took me a while to compose myself after as I was shaking from the adrenaline rush..

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks,
So you would definetly go for all the metal clips and swivels, I can see the sense in the swivels.
Oh well I will have to invest in some metal work, do you keep the snood length
short ?
What hooks do you recommend ?
I have read that some anglers recommend 100lb+mono and some go for wire, and other (this website) snap swivels. linked up then connected to a short heavy snood ?
Do I sound confused ? coz I am

FishermanFigg

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Many thanks,
So you would definetly go for all the metal clips and swivels, I can see the sense in the swivels.
Oh well I will have to invest in some metal work, do you keep the snood length
short ?
What hooks do you recommend ?
I have read that some anglers recommend 100lb+mono and some go for wire, and other (this website) snap swivels. linked up then connected to a short heavy snood ?
Do I sound confused ? coz I am

FishermanFigg
all the clips n swivels IMO are a load of toss keep it super simple (less to fail) tie a pulley rig with a minimum of 100lb mono,make a loop at the lead end for the rotten bottom then a bead,swivel(this one is for main line join)bead,tie in (body to trace swivel)tie on trace then hook(varivas big mouth xtra 8/0) wicked hooks,
this is my conger,huss rig,when you lose 20+ a session it needs to be cheap as poss but very strong.
i make my own leads with a hook instead of a loop so when you hang them on the loop your hook will act as a bait clip. hope this helps...

if you want a pic of one i will post one up for you:)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
many thanks

If you could send a snap that would be very handy and thanks for your help;

FF

·
Registered
996 Posts
As everybody has said it was sure to be a conger.I fish for em with a running ledger having a snood about 2ft long with a single 6/0 o'shaughnassy hook

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
YO fisherman figg, heres the pics you want:)

hope these help mate 100lb mono (minimum) 8/0 varivas big mouth xtra(my choice)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YO fisherman figg, heres the pics you want:)

hope these help mate 100lb mono (minimum) 8/0 varivas big mouth xtra(my choice)
That is super, blinding and really helpfull, coz I have fashioned something similar
but have neglected to put the rotten bottom part in, primarilary because I couldnt make sense of it, your images have cleared it up so I will ammend accordingly,
R u off for a conger session soon ?
And if I scaled it down line weight and hooks, would it work for a Bass pulley rig ?

Alan (FishermanFigg)

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
HI alan, glad to help mate,yes you can scale it down for any fish really this is the one i use for most of my fishing as i dont fish clean groung very often. i normaly only shore fish through the winter months.
cheers lee.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
yeh running ledger all the way, cheap, quick and easy to replace

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
lee looks good m8 the weak link is a bit big for my liking tho but thats me apart from that look ok:)

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
99.9 realease mate,works for me as i chuck a lot of them in but never see them again:schmoll: but thats fishin.i must admit i have robbed the idea but made it to suit me(cant see why others cant fish cheap too:)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
yer know what ya saying regarding fishing cheap spend a day moulding you own weights and you save 50 % right away

·
Registered
866 Posts
99.9 realease mate,works for me as i chuck a lot of them in but never see them again:schmoll: but thats fishin.i must admit i have robbed the idea but made it to suit me(cant see why others cant fish cheap too:)
i ues them in the brisol channel they work fine

1 - 19 of 19 Posts