World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologise for keep asking basic questions but it is the only way I am going to learn. When I read articles in magazines, the majority of writers seem to assume the reader has a modicum of knowledge and experience. Perhaps Mike should open a new forum called "Beginners Corner".

The questions, and I warn you they are basic, are:-

1) How does the sizing of hooks work, which number is largest and which is the smallest. What is the significance of the oblique e.g. 2/0

2) Why is a tapered leader tapered, which way does the taper run, and what is it's use.

Thanks again

Fred

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi fred,

I only know the answer ro the tapered leader question you asked..

The taper runs from small diameter to big diameter, the reason for this is for when you tie the leader to you main line, it will leave a much smaller and neater knot and the only advantage I can think of is when people use level wind reels.

I could be wrong though.

Tight lines

Mike

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Fred,

Hook sizes start from Number 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, etc, etc. Number 1 being the largest.
Going the other way 1, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0, etc. etc. etc. Number 1 being the smallest.

The hooks without a forward slash are mainly used by coarse fishermen or fly fishermen. The hooks with a forward slash are generally used by sea anglers, although when fishing for Bream or small mouthed fish you would, on occasions use a smaller hook, No. 2 or 3 for example

I have never used a tapered shockleader myself as they are expensive, I always use either clear or grey Greased Weasel. Sorry I cannot comment on tapered shock leaders.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
438 Posts
hi fred i use tapered shockleaders they dont seam to catch in the top eye you get about 6 for 5 pound but they do last well best of luck graham

B

·
0 Posts
Fred leaders are a heavy weight line designed to ensure that your line does not break when casting.Most people use 15 to 20lb breaking strain line on beach casting reels and if you were to try casting a 6oz weight tied directly to a 15lb line it would snap when you cast!
A leader is anything from 40lb to 80lb breaking strain,the formular for deciding what b/s to use is 10lb b/s for every oz of weight to be cast,i.e. 6 oz weight = 60lb shock leader line.
Tapered shock leaders will start off around 15lb tapering up to around 80lb and the point of the taper is that the size of the knot when they are tied onto the main (reel) line is much smaller,this gives the advantage of being able to pass through the level wind on multiplier reels easier.Another advantage is that smaller knots tend to pick up less weed on retrieval thus reducing the chances of snagging in the rod rings.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all,

Two more bits in the memory bank. The problem is remembering whereabouts I left the memory bank.

Ta

Fred

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Bit late on this as you have your answers but I was once told by someone a lot wiser than me that the only stupid question was one that was not asked.

One little thing on hook sizes, pretty much all the companies use the same sizing for their hooks, so a 2/0 Mustad will be comparable to a 2/0 Varivas, Gamakatsu, Eagle Claw etc.. This is for the common 'J' hook style we use here. If you get interested in Circle hooks the sizes are completely different. They are not very common here at the moment but are growing in popularity especially for boat use.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't apologise Fred, asking questions makes a forum interesting. That's what it's all about, helping one another. None of us knows it all.

V

·
0 Posts
no-body has mentioned the fact that joining two b/s lines of the same dia/lb is easier than trying to join 60lb to 15lb,and tapered leaders were'nt in vented solely for multipliers with level wind(incidently,level wind is great on boats,but no use on the beach!)hooks go size 6 for example up and thru size 1,2,1/0 2/0,anything with a /0 after gets bigger along with the number-1/0 2/0 3/0 etc,etc.

"MY NAME IS O'HANLON,AND I'VE JUST TURNED SIXTEEN
MY HOME IS IN MONAGHAN,AND WHERE I WAS WEANED
I LEARNED ALL MY LIFE CRUEL ENGLAND'S TO BLAME,
SO NOW I AM PART OF THE PATRIOT GAME"

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
viper525 said:
no-body has mentioned the fact that joining two b/s lines of the same dia/lb is easier than trying to join 60lb to 15lb,and tapered leaders were'nt in vented solely for multipliers with level wind(incidently,level wind is great on boats,but no use on the beach!)hooks go size 6 for example up and thru size 1,2,1/0 2/0,anything with a /0 after gets bigger along with the number-1/0 2/0 3/0 etc,etc.

"MY NAME IS O'HANLON,AND I'VE JUST TURNED SIXTEEN
MY HOME IS IN MONAGHAN,AND WHERE I WAS WEANED
I LEARNED ALL MY LIFE CRUEL ENGLAND'S TO BLAME,
SO NOW I AM PART OF THE PATRIOT GAME"
There are a lot of us learners on the forum Fred, and every question you ask we are learning from in one way or another, so no question is daft. I for one have learned alot from reading the answers to other members questions. Keep them coming.

That is one hell of a track you have quoted there Viper. Haven't heard it in years. I am away to play it right now.
Cheers everyone
Arct.

V

·
0 Posts
thanks for that arctechnic.
and fred,no question is daft,if we don't ask we don't learn.
on a different note i fished west bexington today(morning/mid-day h/w)used rag/mack/hermit/sandeel saw plenty people fishing caught nothing did'nt see anyone else catch.no mackies about . :p

"THEY TOLD ME HOW CONNOLLY WAS SHOT IN HIS CHAIR,
HIS WOUNDS FROM THE FIGHTING ALL BLOODY AND BARE,
HIS FINE BODY TWISTED,ALL BATTERED AND LAME
THEY SOON MADE ME PART OF THE PATRIOT GAME"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts