World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Burnley… I hope all is well where you are.

I’m looking for a compact lure rod that’s suitable for air travel or just to have in my bag in case I’m in a situation where exploring/hunting in more treacherous rocky areas is required. Price is not an issue as I’ve spent nowt on fishing stuff for a long time however, I don’t think it’s worth the cost of going custom on a rod of this nature.

I’ve had a good look around and Shimano make a decent model that would fit the bill but I was hoping that the helpful members of this forum would suggest some other or lesser known high-performance rods that would be suitable:

Two piece 6’ 8” to 7’ 3” rated for at least 15g to 28g

Many thanks for your help.

Matt

·
Registered
20,203 Posts
Hi from Burnley… I hope all is well where you are.

I’m looking for a compact lure rod that’s suitable for air travel or just to have in my bag in case I’m in a situation where exploring/hunting in more treacherous rocky areas is required. Price is not an issue as I’ve spent nowt on fishing stuff for a long time however, I don’t think it’s worth the cost of going custom on a rod of this nature.

I’ve had a good look around and Shimano make a decent model that would fit the bill but I was hoping that the helpful members of this forum would suggest some other or lesser known high-performance rods that would be suitable:

Two piece 6’ 8” to 7’ 3” rated for at least 15g to 28g

Many thanks for your help.

Matt
:) Rovex do a couple that fit the bill and are reasonably priced. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd stick with the shimano BX STC travel rods mate, rather than a two piece, you won't get much better. A bit longer than you want but a bit longer is more useful on a fixed spool rod. Any reason why you want one so short?
Hi Marc. Thanks for your reply. I'm just increasing the versatility of my gear and when I travel I like to explore rocky areas and hard-to-reach places. A shorter two piece just works for me from a practicality perspective. -Matt

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Hi Matt,

I find a longer rod gives you more options on the shore as it's easier to reach over outcrops etc, and you'll cast further but of course, it's your choice.

There's not that many short fixed spool rods around though so it'll also depend on your budget.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Matt,

I find a longer rod gives you more options on the shore as it's easier to reach over outcrops etc, and you'll cast further but of course, it's your choice.

There's not that many short fixed spool rods around though so it'll also depend on your budget.
I appreciate what you’ve mentioned but I do have longer rods for those situations. I was looking at the Shimano Zodias (ZODIAS172H) circa £169…

·
Registered
15,049 Posts
Try the lure fishing forum, plenty of dedicated lure fishing information there , from guys who seem to be lure only anglers.I would say that this forum is more for general shore bait fishing .

Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try the lure fishing forum, plenty of dedicated lure fishing information there , from guys who seem to be lure only anglers.I would say that this forum is more for general shore bait fishing .

Dave
Hi Dave. Thanks for your comment but the term 'lure' in my post was simply for familiarity purposes in terms of rod style. The rod will be used as a general purpose piece of gear so I was hoping to get broader feedback.

·
Registered
12,066 Posts
Harrison do a blank, not sure if they do it as a built rod but I`ve built a good few of them over the years, 7ft, 2 section, rated 5-30grm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts