World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yam 50 autolube, my question is, is there any difference between the 2 stroke oil I put in this to the 2 stroke oil used in motorbikes? I know that the marine one I last bought was fully synthetic, but it was very expensive. I can get motorbike oil for a fraction of the cost, (father in law owns motorbike shop). Has anyone used motorbike oil in their outboards? If so was it OK?

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
The 2 stroke oil for use in outboards should be to TCW3 standard, I think its to do with the fact that watercooled outboards dont get as hot as bikes & chainsaws etc. I have run Stihl & Husqvarna chainsaws for years on ordinary 2 stroke oil, but I think you will find its a big nono in outboards!:g: I reckon you should check the autolube system as well, Yam say 100:1 mix, marine engineers say it should be 50:1!:oops: so it could be a premix for you from now on like the rest of us!
blueskip

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Will it run on ordinary 2T oil....Yes

Is it a good idea......No

Raw water cooled O/B's run at a lower temp than motorcycle engines so the formulation of O/B's 2 stroke oil takes this into account together with having improved anti corrosion properties due to various specific to marine use additives.

In an emergancy if ordinary 2T oil was the only thing available it will do no harm to run a tank or two of pre mix but sticking a whole oil tank full through on an autolube engine would not be good.

Afishionado

1 - 4 of 4 Posts