World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i decided that monday 4th june would be the time to start to up the anti on my species challenge and so two locations and two tides were lined up

first up was Worthing Pier with a view to catching smelt and ideally some bream, with an early afternoon high tide the plan was set and a supply of bait sorted, with the water crystal clear i started fishing with Sussex Schuie down in the well. 10 minutes later and the first species was off the list with my first smelt of the year quickly followed by 8 or 9 more on the mini hookais. Nothing else showed on that tide and a change of location was required....

a quick drive round to Selsey West beach saw me setting up at low tide on the west beach and with a little bit of down time to plan i ended up spending the next two or three hours having lunch and setting up rigs on the beach waiting for the sun to set and the tide to flood...

around 9pm and after a quick walk along the beach i bumped into Starry setting up with a couple of friends just up from me and after a quick chat and discussion about recent catch reports a decided to pendulum out baits to maximum distance and adjust casting range accordingly if fish were slow to appear....

first cast and a small drop back bite signalled the first fish of the night at around 1015pm and a small schoolie was beached and quickly released before the other rod signalled a big dropback and winding down i felt a slightly better resistance with a nice plump schoolie of around 2lb 4oz came to the beach, by this time i was triple patting rigs in the hope of the hounds appearing....

positive signs followed with a small hound of around 5lb being taken at the other end of the beach and i started to question my choice of location when i had an open beach to choose from!!!

a couple more small hounds showed up the beach before i was once again into small schoolies with three more following one another up the beach and back into the surf with the tide and weed porving slightly hazardous to leader knots but not sufficently to cause any breakoffs thank goodness!

next followed a small sharp series of rattles on one of my rods and the rapid tugging and darting movements that are indicative of bream and true to form a plump black bream of around 12oz was beached and another species knocked off the target list but still no hounds....!

well by 1am i was starting to feel it was n't going to be my day as i had run out of fresh peelers and was now down to using frozen crab which led to small pout coming to the rods, ideal for tope bait but by this time i had concluded i wanted to concentrate on the hounds rather than an all or nothing tope...

well at 1:15am the tip folded round and as i picked up the rod a searing run stripping line off the clutch left me with around 15 to 20 yards of line left on the spool as i was already fishing at maximum range and then walking back up the beach so after getting enough line back on the spool and five more strong line stripping runs from what was on the other end the flash of a hounds eye could be seen in the surf and after carefully bringing it in on the next wave a reasonable starry hound was collected and walked up the beach. A quick unhooking and a short walk along to Starry for a quick weigh before release confirmed the hound was 7lb 8oz and another species off the list....

quickly returned and rods recast with high hopes of a last fish before i had the two hour drive home proved to be at no avail and as i packed up and trudged back to the car my gamble of fishing two tides in two locations had paid off with three more species off the list with a mixed bag of bass, blackbream, starry smoothhound, smelt and pouting had been enjoyable if not some what tiring session.

2am and all packed up and with some empty roads i was home by 3:30am and ready for work after having the largest schoolie and bream for lunch....satifying on many different levels i have to say!

andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wondered how you were doing , i was at the other end . Squid , peeler and rag , it didn't matter what i through at them , pout and schoolies . I did manage a PB though my thorny was 3oz its now 10oz , they seem to be becoming more promanent

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just out of interest Andy...........what do you do with Smelt???I know the Freshwater boys use them for Pike Baits..........can you eat them???When I was a kid we used to catch them under Ryde Pier on Bread.Ive got some of those mini Hockeyes,its my intention to try and catch some live launce off Sandown pier with them and then use them under a float for Bass n Macky,that has got to be a killer

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Just out of interest Andy...........what do you do with Smelt???I know the Freshwater boys use them for Pike Baits..........can you eat them???When I was a kid we used to catch them under Ryde Pier on Bread.Ive got some of those mini Hockeyes,its my intention to try and catch some live launce off Sandown pier with them and then use them under a float for Bass n Macky,that has got to be a killer
I was just thinking the same, are smelt good livebaits?

Fabulous report Andy!

Regards

Andy
:clap3:Member of SAS:clap3:

15,082 Posts
Smelt are quite good to eat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great report Andy - reading it really conveyed the feeling of your efforts (which were well rewarded!).

Best wishes, Mick.

P.S. Can't wait for the weekend to wet a line!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheers all,

Sussex Schuie is the best one to comment on the livebait aspect as he had a nice little schoolie on a livie smelt where as mine just got munched by the crabs!!!

i think you were closer on the pull there as she seemed to be smiling at you or perhaps it was baz she had an eye for:g::blink:

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I was just thinking the same, are smelt good livebaits?

Fabulous report Andy!

Regards

Andy
:clap3:Member of SAS:clap3:
At Worthing its possible to catch bass from 8oz upto 5lb on live smelt - most are just in the 1 - 2lb range. Have seen odd bigger bass take smelt but majority are schoolies. Cuttlefish love live smelt as well.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
At Worthing its possible to catch bass from 8oz upto 5lb on live smelt - most are just in the 1 - 2lb range. Have seen odd bigger bass take smelt but majority are schoolies. Cuttlefish love live smelt as well.
Thanks for the advice. I have been meaning to take a trip down to Worthing Pier. Any other good baits you'll let us in on? :secret:

Best

Andy
:notworthyMember of SAS:notworthy

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have been meaning to take a trip down to Worthing Pier. Any other good baits you'll let us in on? :secret:

Best

Andy
:notworthyMember of SAS:notworthy
Depends on sea conditions .... if after a blow the water is really dirty dogfish galore on mackerel strip , late summer will see huge number of garfish and mackerel.

The pier can fish crap one day then great the next .... using red rag in the summer should get something biting on the end of your hook ....though most fish on pier are small, a few good bass can turn up at any time.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Worthing Pier is always something of an enigma as it really is a venue that can throw up some interesting species on its day which always makes it worth a try!!!
Fair comment, Andy. Having fished the pier for over 40 years, it has changed a lot in respect of some species, most notably in the arrival of doggies after a blow all year round and whiting galore during winter months, and the disappearance of the vast shoals of golden grey mullet that used to make the summer fishing outstanding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts