World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to fish Ty Croes on the ebb until an hr after low tomorrow afternoon and evening, before moving over to Trefor Pier to fish the flood up until high tide.

Is anyone from this site likely to be around? PS remembered to bring my camera back this time, so I can guarantee I won't catch anything !:blink:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be over around 3pm If all goes to plan, see you there

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I didn't see you there mate, we were there from about 8.30-19.00. We were the ones on the right behind the rifle butts.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I didn't see you there mate, we were there from about 8.30-19.00. We were the ones on the right behind the rifle butts.
Tozer,
Rifle butts...........?................dont you think your overstepping your competitive tendancies in your search for fish.:uhuh:
Coastman:)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest Coastman I could of done with a rifle myself at Ty Croes as shall be explained...

Arrived at Ty Croes to see a dozen vehicles parked up, but pressed on regardless, and started fishing around 15:45 to the area past the small hut on the right (Trwyn Euphrates).

This was after getting grief off of a couple of scousers that appeared to want the entire cliff to themselves. As anyone that has fished where I was will tell you there is a ledge that is accessable for 4 hrs either side of low water, however the 2 mickey mousers decided that the best way was to fish on the ledge above it.

The low water ledge can accommodate 4, the area above 2/3 so they were not best pleased when I set up my plugging rod with a 2-up 1-down scratching rig loaded with rag for Pollack/Coalies.

One of them nearly had a heart attack berating me about a lack of common sense, as obviously pulling your rig over 20ft width of rock needlessly is the pinnacle of common sense, as is having to climb down 20ft of cliff every time it gets stuck, especially when it got dark. I lived in Liverpool for 5 years and have come to the conclusion Harry Enfields characters do actually represent a minority of the population that live there, obviously they went fishing this weekend!

Anyway, weeded out 2 small Pollack before moving back to the top before the smart twins got too high a blood pressure.

Continued fishing until 20:00 but not a single bite to be had, so went into plan B, Trefor Pier.

Arrived just after 21:00 to find 2 cars parked up and was fishing by 21:30. Plan was to scratch out some fish straight down to save the blank, and put 1 rod out for general species and one out for Huss.

To do this I used the 3 Avis Boomed scratching rig with size 6 hooks I have come to rely on these circumstances. This was loaded with Rag and Lug and dropped straight down.

Multi rod was set up with a 2-up 1-down rig with size 1 vikings, loaded with fish, worm or squid.

Huss Rod was loaded with a 6/0 4/0 pennel pulley rig, loaded with mackerel fillets / mackerel head / squid or a combination of the former.

Was into fish immediately whilst scratching and in 2 hrs had accounted for 1 Codling, 1 Whiting, 2 Sea Scorpions (Bull Heads) and 9 Coalies. None of them in size (as will be seen tomorrow evening when I post the Pics)

The multi rod accounted for the smallest 5 bearded Rockling ever and the Huss rod coughed up a doggy around 23:30. Apart from that other people on the pier were getting sporadic doggys.

Finished at 01:30 after being fishless for 2 hrs.

All in all a good night session after a poor afternoon one. I just hope the chuckle brothers made it off of Ty Croes without incident.

Final Scores 2 Pollack (Ty Croes) 1 Dog, 1 5 Bearded Rockling, 1 Codling, 1 Whiting, 2 Sea Scorpions and 9 Coalies. So 17 fish and 7 species including a new one for the year for me.

How'd you do Tozer?

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Gareth,
Good report and well done with fish you caught..........Coastman:clap3:

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Is Ty Croes now too popular? I suppose the problem you had was caused by folk who considered the mark a flat, out-of-the-back-of-the-car mark and when confronted by even easy angled rocks decide to fish from what they consider the safest stance. I say this because these days I find any climbing, how shall I say .... SLOW! Thus the quality of my fishing is proportional to the company I keep! i.e. they help me a lot by acting as unpaid Sherpas!

However the two you mention sound like those who get there at high water and WON'T move down as the water recedes. Chances are they won't return as they blanked and then had this 'Yobbo spoil their day'!!! Looked at through their eyes, they were there first and you were 'in the way' even if you were acting far more logically than they. Perhaps you should have offered to help them down!!!

Having blanked there myself in the week I will be back later in the year (a fortnight?) I ultimately enjoy the climbing even if, to the casual observer, my progress seems very painful. My wife, bless her, says all will be well once I lose two stone!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True Swelleyman.

I did point out it was ridiculous climbing up and down, and that landing and returning any fish would be a nightmare. But they were content climbing up and down the rocks 2/3 times an hr.

Why didn't I think of calling myself Yobbo rather than GarethP :yeah:

Should have the photos up by 22:00, rather upload them on broadband rather than my current Dial Up connection.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Tozer,
Rifle butts...........?................dont you think your overstepping your competitive tendancies in your search for fish.
Coastman:)
Sorry, left, bad directions. Not 100% sure if I understand that. They are dissused.

I ended up with 6 small whiting, 1 34cm coalie, a tiny codling and a micro dab.
It was hard fihsing in the bright sunshine.

well done mate, the fish were hard to find. It is just about the worst result I have had there.

I was fishing a rover match, heres a report I put up elsewhere:

Well for me, Jon and Howard it was slow. For everyone else they seemed to have caught a few. With some good catches, most notably Liz's 17" flounder and Josh and Pete's Thornies.

For me it was slow and here they are (minus the Coalie 34cm and the Dab 19cm):

Interesting stuff hey :lol: .

Heres one of Jon about to pack up:

About midway through the day some divers turned up, I think one got lost he ended up about 60yrds out directly in front of me :rolleyes:

It was whilst trying to take pictures of this I managed to delete my pictures of the Dab and Coalie, but Jon has one of the Coalie, thank god.

It was a great day and I am heavily sun burnt, but well worth it, well done to all that took part, there were some good fish caught.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well here are the photos.

Don't know whats going on with my camera but its certainly making the fish shine at the moment

Small Coalie

Small Sea Scorpion

Small Codling

Tiny 5-Bearded Rockling

obligatory doggy (small)

Will endeavour to catch some fish that are worth photographing in the near future.

Tight lines

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They're so good I have 2, one for shore, one for boat.

and about another half dozen standard rig wallets for shore as well.

guess I'm a tackle tart

·
Registered
45 Posts
Shame about the group who need go anger managment lessons not fishing sessions.Looks like it was a wise decision to up and move on to Trefor Pier,sounding like a good night on there at the moment,shame you didnt hook one of those Huss what lurk around.
RAGCASTER

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi gareth. if you will forgive my ignorance please explain for us new to the forum
Multi rod was set up with a 2-up 1-down rig with size 1 vikings, loaded with fish, worm or squid.

Huss Rod was loaded with a 6/0 4/0 pennel pulley rig, loaded with mackerel fillets / mackerel head / squid or a combination of the former.

i am a newcomer both to the forum and sea fishing and have not seen the above mentioned in any books read so far. apologies if i sound like a pillock but diagrams, descriptions of rigs most welcome!!
even i can see you put in a superb post!! many thanks from us newbies!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not a problem.

Principles of a Pulley Rig can be found on this thread

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61477

A Pennel is the mounting of 2 hooks on the same hooklength, primarily used for big baits and hopefully big fish. 6/0 4/0 means a 6/0 at the end of the hooklength, 4/0 above it. Pennel diagram at

http://www.nesa.co.uk/Junior-Section/Rigs-and-Traces/Clipped_Down_Pennel_Rig.html

Note, that Pennel just means 2 hooks on a hook length, it does not refer to a specific rig. You can have pennel pulleys, pennel clipped down rigs, pennel clipped up rigs, 1-up 1-down pennels etc etc

Finally 2-up 1-down is a reference to the flapper rig Diagram 1 of this

http://www.sea-fishing.org/rigs1.html

refers.

2-up 1-down means 2 hooks above the lead 1-below, you can also make these as 3-up where all hooks hang above the lead.

Size 1 vikings refer to Mustad Viking 79515 hook pattern in size 1.

Hope this helps

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Is the gate at the lane for Ty Croes still padlocked? If so, is the standard access route over the beaten down part of the fence at the right of the gate?
Might give it a go when I am down next week.
cheers, Briser.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts