World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am after some advice please. I am going onto a mooring for the first time this year and want to know how people tie off to a bouy. any advise will be appreciated

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
I think there's a comprehensive section about mooring up to a buoy (things will vary a bit, depending on whether there's a pick up buoy, whether you're single handed or have a crew member, the kind of access you have around the boat etc) on the excellent 'Sailtrain.co.uk' site - loads and loads of other useful boating stuff on that site too.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Take your mooring rope through the ring on the buoy, and bring it back onto the boat, tie off onto a stout fixing thereon. That way whenyou leavbe your mooring you take the rope with you, it saves it getting soaked and also is not in your way when re mooring. I beleive there is a tool for doing this? Here is one version http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/general-chandlery/moorfast/-moorfast-mooring-hook646931.bhtml
Rather just have the old wooden pole with a hook instead of that, have you seen the price!

And saves the rope from getting wet? I've heard it all now lol

·
Registered
559 Posts
I am after some advice please. I am going onto a mooring for the first time this year and want to know how people tie off to a bouy. any advise will be appreciated
Hi there, Are you asking
What type of rope to use?
What type of Knot is best ?
Or How catch the rope when mooring ?

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
how to attach to the bouy and then to my boat
Aquabell's post is relevant. Also check out the Sailtrain site I suggested (it's a very comprhensive and very useful site, and despite the name, not just for sailing boats - it covers approach, picking up a buoy and all that you will need to know.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
how to attach to the bouy and then to my boat
Do you have strong cleats fitted on the boat? if so then decide how far you wish to ride off the buoy, then double the length of the rope, tie a bowline on one end, and slip onto cleat, take the other through the ring on the mooring bring it back to the boat and then tie another bowline on that and slip that onto the cleat.

it's easy to do, and the best knot for the job.

http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline/

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a Warrior 165, I have a lazy line from the samson post to the helm with a stainless steel clip on the end. On the ring of the bouy I have two 16mm ropes with a 6" loop spliced in and spliced in metal links connecting them to the bouy with a large shackle. the ropes are 4ft long.
I motor up to the bouy against the tide hold the boat in place just on tick over, clip the lazy line clip to the spliced eys on the ropes and knock the boat out of gear. Let the boat drift back to the end of the line, go to the hatch and pull the boat up to the bouy and drop the two eyes over the sampson post. unclip the lazy line pass in back round the side of the cuddy back to the helm. Once in the tender I have a stainless steel cord from the underside of the bouy which i clip to the winching eye on the boat. Job done 3mins by myself easy.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Helllo matey I used to be on a mooring I had 2 floating lines attached to my bouy about 8th long with spliced loops on the end depending wat boat you have but my crew member used to go up front whilst I motored slowly up to them he use to hook them out and attach over my 2 front cleats, motor against the tide to you're lines that way if you miss you won't go over the top of them if you're going slow enough, practise will sort it no probs, be carefull getting on and off tender that's when most people go in drink I was told,stu

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How big and what type of clips are they. That sounds a good way to do it. I have pilot house boat so the lazy line will work well thanks for everyone's help

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I have a Warrior 165, I have a lazy line from the samson post to the helm with a stainless steel clip on the end. On the ring of the buoy I have two 16mm ropes with a 6" loop spliced in and spliced in metal links connecting them to the buoy with a large shackle. the ropes are 4ft long.
I motor up to the bouy against the tide hold the boat in place just on tick over, clip the lazy line clip to the spliced eys on the ropes and knock the boat out of gear. Let the boat drift back to the end of the line, go to the hatch and pull the boat up to the bouy and drop the two eyes over the sampson post. unclip the lazy line pass in back round the side of the cuddy back to the helm. Once in the tender I have a stainless steel cord from the underside of the bouy which i clip to the winching eye on the boat. Job done 3mins by myself easy.

SOUNDS to me you it cracked. But if this last months weather repeats itself get it onto the trailer, anp up behind a steam roller LOL

·
Registered
559 Posts
Liking the avatar picture matey, that tan is coming along well now!! Have you been abroad again?
You never sent me a "Vallentine" card ??? So l did 9hrs under a sun lamp and it worked... You Noticed Me....::clap2::love....::love:

Hope your doing well.. Amanda's still packing me pigeon sarnes.. eek.. The boats at the lock up until Easter so was hoping to invite you both for an afternoon on the Thames.. But that might not happen til next year ??
Take care Billy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts