World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all looking at getting a new rod ugly sticks i know well so probs sticking with that for the kayak the dilemma I’ve got is should I get the 7ft 3 one or the 5ft kayak one. Is 7ft 3 to big for the kayak. Also I’m thinking the 7ft 3 one could be used on the boat were as the 5ft one I doubt it any input appreciated
Cheers marc

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
8 ft isn't too long.

You may need to get the rod round the bow, you would be limited to rig length and may have difficulty landing fish with a 5 footer.

I use the GX2 only problem is the rings corrode easy however I have the 20-30 boat rod and the rings are different and don't corrode.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8 ft isn't too long.

You may need to get the rod round the bow, you would be limited to rig length and may have difficulty landing fish with a 5 footer.

I use the GX2 only problem is the rings corrode easy however I have the 20-30 boat rod and the rings are different and don't corrode.
Hi malks
Cheers for reply think am going with the 12-20lb one should be ample for what I intend todo bit of bass and odd cod to 7lb although my mate got a 14lb one last year think it could handle that if not be good fun trying lol
Cheers marc

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
They are not set up for fish size, 6-12 has landed lots of Pollack to 7+ which fight better than a 7+ cod, and although I have not had a 7+ bass I would imagine they would do the biz

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8 ft isn't too long.

Just been looking at reviews on 12-20 and 20-30 might go for The bigger one if don’t mind how do you find them. Am just worried it might be to stiff for my type of fishing as biggest al catch usually 10lb over mixed ground reefs for pollock etc

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
My daughters favorate rod in the yak on bigger fish is less than 4ft long and very parabolic, this allows her to tackle bigger grouper and safely control them to her landing net. In the rivers where pinpoint accuracy is needed to virtually put a lure on the nose of certain species she either uses a 6ft outfit or for even more fun a tiny little 3ft outfit.

For us the whole point of using a yak is that you can quietly get close to fish and don't need to cast any distance, not that the rods we use won't cast a fair way. Most fish we chase can be landed with 10lb braid but for grouper our starting point is 80lb mono. Even using drag settings of around 8lb with 10lb braid in the yak can be tricky on the longer rods, luckily yaks tow well when a good enough fish pulls.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Just been looking at reviews on 12-20 and 20-30 might go for The bigger one if don’t mind how do you find them. Am just worried it might be to stiff for my type of fishing as biggest al catch usually 10lb over mixed ground reefs for pollock etc
Ok, let's get the context right.
I fish lures over broken ground and reefs almost exclusively IN THE UK. I tend to (90%) fish vertically but will cast into kelp beds or across smaller reefs but that will be 10% of the time. I fish for cod and Pollock mainly with lures from 3gm to 90gm mainly but usually 28-34gm. The GX2 6-12 & 12-20 have rings that are more like fixed spool rings whereas the 20-30 is a boat rod and more of a multi style and all my reels have braid. The 6-12 is not out gunned by Pollock up to almost double figures but it needs a good reel with a good drag otherwise it would struggle. 12-20 is a similar rod with a bit more backbone, the largest would be fine for most wrecking with single lures.

If you are fishing bait you need to ask someone else, as I rarely do.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Forgot to add, I also use a pair of savage gear Xlnt 2's in 12-28 & 20-60gm casting weight and they also work very well with single lures but tend to be for casting rather than vertical fishing.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I use 6-12 gx2’s... great rods for the money, but only fish maximum I suppose 30 feet deep... 3oz leads. Sometimes I’ll use lure rods with an ounce weights and there fine.
Think 12-20 would also be fine dependent on depth, weight size and tide?
Good luck in you’re venture....

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've recently purchased the 4ft and 5ft gx2 for my kayak fishing, which the weather is battling me on and so have only used them once on it.
I agree with an earlier post I can see if you was to have to fight a fish going around the front of the yak it could be difficult . However as I have pedals and a rudder I can position my yak fairly easily and don't see it being too much of a problem.
I have however taken the 5ft out on a recent charter trip as I fancied seeing how it performed and I had plenty of fish on it with Pollock up to 10lb and a ling of roughly 18lb and it didn't struggle. I did as the butt is a little short for that type of fishing but they all came up and it made it fun.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another vote for 6-12 or 8-12lb class and for the normal length boat rods. You may want to shorten the butt section to take a few inches off below the reel.
I've a pair of 12-20lb rods and they only come out for serious Conger sessions they gather dust the rest of the time
My 12lb class get used for rays hounds cod etc. And tope .

If it's lure fishing you intend doing then suitably weighted lure rods and 4000 sized fixed spools will do the job better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a fairly comprehensive review about the GX2 7’6” 6-12lb kayak ugly stick (don’t know if the 7’6” has been discontinued) on the kayak fishing blog by the Cornish kayak angler.
In fact there are two reviews for it on his site, one as an initial overview and one showing it having a years hard use, plus there are videos of the rod in use.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
@Simon lewis , why optimistic?

I went out this week and was using my GX2 and I have to say that the rings have deteriorated badly and I will be replacing them ASAP

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Hi all looking at getting a new rod ugly sticks i know well so probs sticking with that for the kayak the dilemma I’ve got is should I get the 7ft 3 one or the 5ft kayak one. Is 7ft 3 to big for the kayak. Also I’m thinking the 7ft 3 one could be used on the boat were as the 5ft one I doubt it any input appreciated
Cheers marc
I've been kayak fishing for nearly 15 years, shorter is better the 5ft kayak ugly stick will be perfect

1 - 20 of 23 Posts