World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there looking for a cheap uptider just wondered if anyone had tried the above and what you think thanks in advance steve

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have one, its very good for the price. Casts well with the twist out butt, is quite sensitive and has got some desent power.

I dont think you can go wrong for the money

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi potter can you remember what you paid and where from? southend angling have them at 34.99 does that sound about right ?cheers for the quick reply
regards steve

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its the sapphire i was looking at my others on the way out they get some hammer small boat fishing had it a few years tho sounds like a decent rod for the money many thanks for reply advice cheers steve

·
Registered
160 Posts
i paid £30 £35 , cant quite remember, but no more than £35.

Greys do a uptider that has the same twist butt, its very similar, i think the greys would probably be slightly better, well it is finished better, but the greys is £130. Not worth the extra in this case in my opinion.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers potter ordered the sapphire from jims as said wanted something cheap as get some rough treatment i,m sure it will be fine regards steve

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
i paid £30 £35 , cant quite remember, but no more than £35.

Greys do a uptider that has the same twist butt, its very similar, i think the greys would probably be slightly better, well it is finished better, but the greys is £130. Not worth the extra in this case in my opinion.
Possibly just paying for the name,and the street cred ?:g:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Excuse the ignorance, :unsure: but dose one of the 'Uglystick' uptiders (Saphire?) have a 'twist, variable butt length'? or is it a variable position reel seat?:blink:

I know Greys (Hardy) do variable reel seat, was not aware of a 'twist' butt?

Thanks, ET's OPO

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The best uptider Ive ever bought was the team daiwa Amorphous whiskers bought in the late '90's. Id be very surprised if anything else can match them in terms of sheer power and sensitivity. A real pleasure to use as well! Ive used them in the Bristol Channel and caught allsorts on them!

Probably the best rod material used to date by any rod manufacturer!

G

·
Excuse the ignorance, :unsure: but dose one of the 'Uglystick' uptiders (Saphire?) have a 'twist, variable butt length'? or is it a variable position reel seat?:blink:

I know Greys (Hardy) do variable reel seat, was not aware of a 'twist' butt?

Thanks, ET's OPO

Yes mate the Sapphire has got the twist and extend butt.....very handy it is too!

G

·
Yes mate the Sapphire has got the twist and extend butt.....very handy it is too!
i have the very same rod!!used it a few times now in a lot of tide and it copes very well.also used it last year drifting with a 12oz lead catching codling and it was fine.

lovely little rod and i'd recommend it to anyone.good price if i remember right.....dave.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The best uptider Ive ever bought was the team daiwa Amorphous whiskers bought in the late '90's. Id be very surprised if anything else can match them in terms of sheer power and sensitivity. A real pleasure to use as well! Ive used them in the Bristol Channel and caught allsorts on them!

The best uptider i have personally played with is the zipplex, but its quite expensive last time i looked.

But i am biased to zziplex i have 3 beach rods of theres, and they are excellent and worth every penny.

So i may treat my self to one of there uptiders one day

·
Registered
584 Posts
Another question re 'Ugly Stick Shapire'. Is the 9ft 5inch length with or without the butt extended??? and how much does the extended butt ad to the over all length?? :unsure:

Tried to track down details on Sheakspears Web site, a wast of time, aimed at the American market. Dont even include the models we use here in the UK, unless any one knows different?

Diawa Whisker, wow, they made a wonderful fly rod in that range in the 90's, very progressive action. Reminiscent of the Abu Suverans action although I seem to remember it being a little 'softer', not floppy, controlled power is a better description. Modern rods can be so 'tippy', in fact uptiders can be nothing more than cut down beach casters, with very unforgiving tips. There are a few better ones coming on the market now, any one agree?

Thanks, ET's OPO

·
Registered
92 Posts

I think the one previous to the amorphous the carbo whisker is the better rod. Have got a pair of amorphous but can't find another carbo to make a pair. Both are 4-10 which can handle anything.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i ordered the ugly sapphire for £31.99 plus you get £6.00 off your next order placed order with jims on thurs night here this morning so well done to them super service thanks to bigfish for giving me the link, just had a quick look and appears to be a cracking rod for the money, thank all for the advice
regards steve

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Most uptiders will serve the purpose fine, I have got a couple of cheapies that I used to lend out on my boat, and they caught as many fish as my expensive ones. The reel is the important bit, dont skimp there!

G

·
well i ordered the ugly sapphire for £31.99 plus you get £6.00 off your next order placed order with jims on thurs night here this morning so well done to them super service thanks to bigfish for giving me the link, just had a quick look and appears to be a cracking rod for the money, thank all for the advice
regards steve

Happy to be of help mate,I hope it catches you a few fish:fishing:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts